1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editor positions, The New York Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Timothy Sullivan, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Timothy Sullivan

Timothy Sullivan New Member

The New York Post has two high-ranking, design-savvy, supervisory editor positions available on its night desk. Interested applicants should send a resume, references and work samples to:

Tim Sullivan
    Deputy Sports Editor
    1211 Avenue of the Americas
    New York, NY 10036
    tsullivan@nypost.com

DEPUTY NIGHT SPORTS EDITOR

The Deputy Night Sports Editor will be the lead designer most nights, but will also work toward becoming the main slot editor, who will manage the night crew, jump into a story or two, create the back page and quarterback the on-deadline relationship between the writers and editors. This executive position is ideal for someone who currently holds a consistent management/slot position with an emphasis on design. Experience with InDesign will be a plus.

COPY EDITOR/SLOT EDITOR

The Copy Editor/Slot Editor will be an efficient wordsmith, who is productive line-by-line on tight deadlines. This position also includes a heavy design presence. As the employee works into the role, the addition of some management slot shifts will be created. This position is ideal for someone who would like to move toward a supervisory executive role, someone who can make a page stand out, without sacrificing the story. Experience with InDesign will be a plus.

tsullivan@nypost.com

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If only my current shop would have taught me to design when I was desking. Promises, promises.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's easy as this, IJAG: have a jazz musician's mind and then build a box and fill a box. That's pretty much design right there.

4. imjustagirl

Pretty sure the NYP isn't going to train me for that job.

But if I had more design experience than my five years at a 12K PM paper, I'd be hand-delivering a resume and clips there tomorrow. God how I love the NYP.

5. Songbird

I'll show you. Design is simple. And designing for the Post is no different than designing any other rag. I'll show you, and you'll get it in 30 minutes; well, so long as they don't use Alfa.

6. imjustagirl

Get your ass down here.

7. Songbird

I have vacay at the end of the month. I'll see what I can swing.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That's like telling someone you can teach them golf in a half hour. Maybe you can, if she's a natural. But it will take a few years to get a Tour card.

9. Songbird

Maybe, Frank, but design is much easier than golf, which is hard.

Build a box, fill a box, and adhere to a few simple rules. Design really is that easy. Not sure what program the Post uses (Quark, In-Design, etc.), but those are easy to learn.

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

"Experience in InDesign will be a plus."

Neither program is hard to learn. Both take time to master.

11. Songbird

I've never used In-Design. I hear it's better than Quark. Some say more efficient. The Good Doctor (whereever he is ... ) says he prefers In-Design to Quark. I'm a Quark man. Love it. Alfa, however, makes, me want to murder technology.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Learning a computer program is relatively simple. Designing pages isn't easy if you are doing it right.

Draft saved Draft deleted