1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editor goes from overseeing newsroom to overseeing religious congregation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Gage Church, former deputy managing editor at the Des Moines Register, soon will start his second career in earnest: pastor of the Congregational United Church of Christ in Ogden, Utah. Appropriate name for the job, don't you think?

http://bit.ly/i1TYxi

He previously enjoyed a 20-year career in newspapers, mostly as an editor and manager.

Included in the list of newspapers for which he has worked are: The New York Times, USA Today and the St. Petersburg Times. He finished his journalism career in 2006 as the deputy managing editor of the Des Moines Register.

Church said he misses his newspaper work because he had opportunities to “look out for the underdog and be a part of people’s lives.” ...

An ordained minister in the United Church of Christ, Church said he answered a long and lingering call to the ministry.

He attended the United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities in New Brighton, Minn., where he was honored with awards for his social justice studies and his preaching.

His endeavors have included a church internship with Associated Church in Owatonna, Minn., and a one-year position as chaplain resident at the Mayo Clinics and Hospitals in Rochester, Minn.

In that position, he ministered to those in general medical, cancer, transplant, psychiatry and addiction units, as well as to clients in hospice programs.

2. writingump

writingump Member

I'm guessing since he's serving as a pastor that the congregation isn't in danger of being furloughed.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Good luck getting the Bible to fit a 12-inch newshole

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Which of the 10 Commandments gets cut to fill that newshole?

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be too tough, he's been taking a vow of poverty for 20 years.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think becoming pastor of a non-Mormon church in Utah is the cushiest of landing spots.

7. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Former Knight Ridder Tribune assistant editor Lauren Stanley went this route. She's an Episcopal priest. One sad duty she filled -- she officiated the memorial service for KRT managing editor Mike Duggan, who was a terrific guy.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I wrote a story a few years ago about an actress who got tired of struggling, especially while her lookalike sister's acting career was soaring (she's now a regular on "Private Practice"), so she quit and went back to school for her master's degree in theology. She's now a chaplain with the Canadian army.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I see your actress and raise you a nun. Love this story. And she's still an Oscar voter, BTW.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20311937_20465690,00.html

10. That is outstanding!

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Fantastic story - you win!!

But, hey, what do you know about nuns, anyway? ;)

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe now the JV apostles will get some coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted