1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edit my clip?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Nov 29, 2006.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

I need some help.

I wrote what I think is a pretty good story this past weekend and I'd like to use it as a clip.

The problem is, what I wrote in one paragraph was changed by someone at the desk and subsequently changed the meaning.

Here's what I wrote:

"The game's only touchdown was Hackity Hack's 20-yard run off right tackle on a fourth-and-one play that left Podunk safety Harry Balls grasping for the air after he penetrated the line."

Here's what it was changed to and how it appears in the paper:

"The game's only touchdown was Hackity Hack's 20-yard run off right tackle on a fourth-and-one play that left Podunk safety Harry Balls gasping for air after he penetrated the line."

OK, as you can see the meaning has been changed and the edited paragraph sucks. It doesn't even make sense for a number of reasons, the main one being he wasn't actually gasping for air - he was grasping at the air because Hack made him look silly.

So here's my question. I want to use this story is a a clip. Can I make a small note about what my original graph said so I look like I know what the hell I'm writing about? Or am I screwed?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I see what you're saying (though it took me a minute).

Yeah, I would probably make a note. But you shouldn't have used "the air" in the first place. It correctly should have said "grasping for air."

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Plus, you probably don't want that dangling modifier in a clip, anyway.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Don't make a note. No boss is going to be thrilled with someone who is dissing his own desk in his application. You'll write good stories in the future that can be used as clips. This just isn't one. It's too bad, but it's a gamer. A high school gamer, from what it appears. There will be other games. Even if it was the Ohio State-Michigan game, there will be other games.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Better answer.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It would be better off just to say he was grasping. He wasn't really grasping for air. He was grasping for Hackity Hack. And you have Harry Balls penetrating the line that way it is written. Not Hackity Hack.

Bottom line is this isn't gonna get you a better job with or without the error introduced by the desk.

Work on getting better and tighter with your writing and save those improved stories for the clips.

And realize the desk will ruin a good clip at tmes. They also will save your ass, too, more often than not.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Sorry to thread-jack (sort of) but does anyone else have a problem or pet peeve with this:

- - The game's only touchdown was Hackity Hack's 20-yard... - -

For some reason, I much prefer starting a sentence with ANY WORD other than "The."

Why not:

- - Hackity Hack scored the game's only touchdown on a 20-yard run... - -

Why bury the subject a few words deep into the graf?

(NDub, this by NO MEANS is an attack at/on you. It just happened your clip had the example)

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Good call, SoSue.
    Also, NDub, shouldn't it have been "grasping at air" rather than "for." He was, indeed, grasping "for" the runner. All he got was the air.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm with the "there will be other clips" side. And I agree, you look petty saying your desk made you look bad. So I'm afraid, only because you used the word in your inquiry, you're screwed.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

don't edit clips.

don't diss the desk.

write another good story.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here's another probelm I have NDub... you seem more concerned that the desk might have "ruined my clip" than the fact that someone might have made a change that affected how your story read in print.

The obsession with my clip, my clip, my clip around here is really begining to get to me.
    Do your fucking job right and well, and you will accumulate a ton of clips without even realizing it.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

His construction, with the "the", should have helped insulate him from that awful edit.

Draft saved Draft deleted