1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edgy, cranky and just plain annoyed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hacknaway, Nov 28, 2006.

1. hacknaway

hacknaway New Member

I've found myself having very little patience in the last month. I've yelled at co-workers twice, had a confrontation with someone at an event, and there's always a feeling of simmering annoyance. It has never happened before, and I don't know if it's because it has been a long football season and the holidays are around the corner, or if I've just started becoming more cantankerous in my older age.

For anyone that has been in this business more than 15 years, did you hit a similar wall? I fear it may be a sign that maybe something a little less stressful, with more regular hours, is needed.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So this is spnited's alter ego...

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

alter?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why is somebody I don't know starting a thread about me? ;D

And Jones, go fuck yourself...
    After you get me another Keith's.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

Ha, spnited, you know I keed.

One Keith's, kind Sir, coming up.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hell, I started in the business that way. As I get older, I do less yelling at coworkers cause more of them can beat me up now.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thank you, my Canadian friend.
    Now, can you get me together with Scarlett?

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

You know, hacky, you're going to think I'm making fun of you, but I'm not.

You should try to take the occasional toot of oxygen. I don't know how, but you should. I've been reading a lot of science shit with astronauts and stuff, and a lot of them describe a low-level tension that builds up after they've been on the job for a while. They began giving them huffs of pure oxygen, and presto, no more rage. Or at least you could get out of the newsroom every now and then. I bet the air in there sucks. Just go outside and inhale.

Don't ask me to explain further. I really can't. Just passing it along for what it's worth.

P.S. Spnited: No. She's mine, and she's mine forever.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Blame it on the weather. I do. And may I please have a Keith's? (Please note: I asked nicely)

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hacky, your sentiments are what I'm dealing with now in sports. I've lost my love for sports writing. I have another few weeks before a change to the news side happens. I'm not grouchy or yelling at co-workers but I've found outlets to stay sane such as going to the gym and eating healthier food and drinking a lot of water and cutting out coffee and caffeine and staying away from the office as much as possible. I go to Borders to read magazines or just wander aimlessly. It's been a wonderful treatment. If you have vacation use the hours up. It took me 17 years to realize that the office isn't home, too. Good luck.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Hacknaway.....this is normal and it will last a few years. You'll get cranky, easily annoyed, cry over little things... and worst of all, the hot flashes. Menopause is a bitch.

12. hacknaway

hacknaway New Member

I'm not looking forward to the vaginal dryness, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted