1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edgerrin James: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 24, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would put Terrell Davis in before James, and yes I know he only had four years, but three of them were better than anything James ever did.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He'd have a ring and he would have played behind a better offensive line.

3. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, Davis is a tough one... I agree with everything you said, but in the end there's got to be some longevity. I think LaDainian's MVP season might be the best season I've ever seen from a RB during my lifetime, but Davis in 1998 might be a close second.

That's the thing with running backs, there are quite a few of them who look like Hall of Famers for five seasons. There's much fewer who can put together seven great seasons, and it's pretty rare for any of them to get 10 seasons that are in the good or great catergory.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Don't forget the dreads....have to have the dreads.

Actually does anyone know how they choose the look of the bust? I ask because Unitas's bust has a comb over as opposed to his flattop. Namath has a haircut ala Vinnie Babarino.

And to get back on topic...I say no on James.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Taylor was my RB in my first 2 seasons playing Madden. The guy was a beast. mos def HOF

6. No, no, absolutely not. Edgerrin James was a product of the Colts' system. He was terrible in Arizona. Absolutely unworthy of the Hall of Fame. The only way he should get in is by paying the $21 admission fee like everyone else.

Yes, I'm still bitter that I had to watch him as our running back for two years.

7. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

James is very borderline and I would say no but have no problem if he did get in.

He has 9th best season in total yards, twice led the league in rushing and is 13th on the all-time yards from scrimmage list (11th for RB's).

My problem with him is Tiki Barber. I don't think Tiki Barber is a HOF or all too close to it. He's a clear Hall of Very Good. Why does it affect James? Barber actually finished ahead of him on the yards from scrimmage list.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

1. He was in Arizona for three years. While his average wasn't good at all he did have two 1,000 yard seasons with one being 1,200. This was playing for a team with a bad O-line and was 13-19 in those two years.

2. He wasn't simply a product of the Colts system. That is very naive. No one has approached his numbers for the Colts since he left and early in his career he was the offense and Peyton got his looks because of James. People forget that in his first two years he was the best in the league and teams tried to stop him.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A HOF that doesn't include running backs who only had a few great years is going to miss out on a lot of great running backs. 3-year peaks are the norm, not the exception.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

No on Terrell Davis.

He had great years but the system proved that almost anyone could have great years in Denver.

Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary and Clinton Portis were productive in that offense and none will see the HOF.

If you want to put a player whose career was cut short due to injuries put in Tony Boselli.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

1000 yard seasons are meaningless.

12. Mizzougrad96

He had four seasons over 1,500 yards. That's pretty damn good. He also had six seasons over 1,200 yards, that's not bad either.

He led the NFL in rushing twice.

Draft saved Draft deleted