1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed Wade Hired as Astros GM

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Yeah, same here. These are the moves that Wade made with the Phillies (trades only). In the words of "Seinfeld," "We got gold, Jerry, gold!": http://www.thegoodphight.com/story/2005/10/12/144044/44

2. XXXX

XXXX Member

Exactly my point. We have NOTHING from that trade. Also, Polanco was the only thing that we got back that could actually play, but I wouldn't trade Rolen straight up for him.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My point was that it is unfair to say they got nothing in that particular trade when they did get a player with some value in Polanco. Criticize them for not getting enough in exchange for him later? Fine. But to say they got nothing in the deal when they acquired him is inaccurate.

And no, I wouldn't have given Rolen for him at the time, either. But Rolen was pushing his way out and Bud Smith was supposed to be a decent prospect. He just didn't pan out.

4. XXXX

XXXX Member

That's where Ed Wade always fails with those types of trades. Bud Smith was a decent prospect that didn't pan out, but Rolen was the best third basemen in the league, in his prime, and that is all they could get? That is the mark of a TERRIBLE GM.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Never said it was a good trade. Just that saying they got nothing was unfair.

Trust me, I was happy to hear about this hiring because it keeps the Pirates from hiring a retread (not that I think any GM can win with that ownership).

6. boots

boots New Member

Ed Wade has been going around saying that the current Phillies team features many of HIS players. This was the same Ed Wade who wanted to trade Ryan Howard to Pittsburgh.
    Ed Wade in Houston will not end well.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Bzzzzzzzzzz. Wrong.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

At least Cubs fans are amusing when drunk. You need to strap on some kevlar if you're gonna wade through a crowd of shit-faced Eagles Phillies fans. As far as trades go, that Billy Wags deal wasn't too bad. It's not like he turned into a left-handed Mel Rojas. That said, the Wagner trade is the only major trade that brought the Wade-era Phillies a productive player, while I count four players (Schilling, Rolen, Polanco & Estrada) that would go on to successful post-PHL careers.

9. boots

boots New Member

I understand where you are coming from but here's the deal Phila, the Phillies got short-term investments in those Wade deals. In the Schilling deal, the Phillies got LHP Omar Daal, RHP Vicente Padilla, 1BTravis Lee, and RHP Nelson Figueroa. In the Rolen trade, the Phillies got third baseman Placido Polanco, pitcher Bud Smith and reliever Mike Timlin. For Estrada, the Phillies got Kevin Milwood.
    At the time, those deals filled some depth holes but they were like patches on a roof. The roof needed to be re-tarred.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

So, what position do you play?

11. XXXX

XXXX Member

I absolutely hate that come back. I pay good money for all the shit that they sell (tickets, food, beer, merchandise), I have the right to feel like I have a stake in the team, because they are spending MY money.

12. boots

boots New Member

Fans have a right to boo and hiss. They pay good money to watch "professionals" perform.
    And repeating, Ed Wade in Houston: This will not end well.

Draft saved Draft deleted