1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed Wade Hired as Astros GM

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Ed Wade was hired as the new GM of the Houston Astros. ESPN is not working for me, otherwise I would post a link. I feel bad for the Astros. Here comes a bunch of large contracts with no-trade clauses and a depletion of the farm system.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Re: Astros Will Soon Have No Farm System...

Here ya go.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3029117

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, Mayfly, Wade did such a horrible job and so depleted the Phillies farm system that is his time as GM they drafted and signed:
    Howard, Utley, Rollins, Hamels, Meyers, Bourn, Kendrick... traded for Rowand...claimed Victorino in the rule 5 draft...etc. etc. etc.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

He also locked Bobby Abreu and Pat Burrell into ridiculous no-trade clause laced contracts. He failed to keep Scott Rolen, although Rolen wanted out of Philadelphia. He refused to bring back Schilling who wanted back on the team during the opening season of Citizens Bank Park. How many top prospects do the Phillies have now in their farm system? A lot of that previous stuff was Wade's doing to get those players, yes, but where exactly did he leave the Phillies when he was fired as GM?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Where he left the Phils is with the team that is currently contending for the NL East title.

No GM has a spotless record, but I'd say Wade did a decent job of rebuilding a pathetic organization

6. XXXX

XXXX Member

Wade did not trade for Rowand that was Gillick.

Wade also traded for Andy Ashby, Turk Wendell, Mike Jackson, signed David Bell, Traded Schilling for NOTHING, Traded Polanco for NOTHING, traded Rolen for NOTHING, DID NOT hire Jim Leyland, NEVER made a significant trade at the deadline, signed Kevin Millwood, gave reactionary long term NO TRADE contracts to Abreu, Burrell, and Liebrathal following the Rolen fiasco. Have fun NOT making the playoffs Houston.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Given how bad the system was when he got there, I think he did OK.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

That's all I was saying wicked...as opposed to Mayfly's contention that he destroyed the farm system. It was a shambles when he got there

9. XXXX

XXXX Member

The Phils did not make the playoffs since '93. Myers, Hamels, Utley, and Rollins were high draft picks, that is what a GM is SUPPOSED to do. I'll give him credit for Howard. He also drafted Gavin Floyd (BUST) and Adam Eaton (BUST) and Carlton Loewer (BUST).

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fine, Ed Wade sucks..he's the worst GM in baseball history

And Phillies fans are bigger assholes than Cubs fans

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Could he have done better?

Sure.

Would Pirates' fans be having a boner right now if Littlefield/Bonifay were one-third as successful as Wade?

You bet.

12. XXXX

XXXX Member

What success?????? He NEVER made the playoffs in 10 YEARS!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted