1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed O'Bannon!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jun 14, 2009.

1. I thought this was an excellent piece of journalism.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/11/AR2009061103332.html?hpid=topnews

2. Also, the first photo in the slide show - him shooting on a tiny wall net in his cubicle - is amazing.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Read the first page, will read the rest later.
    Is it any different than the O'Bannon car salesman feature I first read 7 or 8 years ago??

4. Oh! Well, you are a SoCalDude, so you probably hear much more about Mr. O'Bannon than many of us. Though I am a big basketball fan, I had no idea what he was up to. So...maybe this does not need to be read by the people who already know what he's up to, but it's good for the rest of us.

5. Alright, just read a couple others, including the SI one. This one is much better. O'Bannon's quotes, for whatever reason, are significantly more self-analytical and forthright. He reveals much more about his psychological evolution.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not sure I give enough of a shit about Ed O'Bannon to care what he's doing these days.

Now Charles O'Bannon ... that's different.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Post did one of these with Peter Boulware a few weeks back. Really good stuff.

8. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Some credit where credit is due.

Dave Sheinin is one of the best. He's great at these features, but I do miss his daily baseball stories.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Good story.

But metropolitan Las Vegas, for a feature on a guy born and raised in L.A. who played in the NBA in New Jersey and Dallas? In the WaPo? That's not hyperlocal! What the hell, spending travel money on that kind of story?!

What is this, the heyday of the '80s for newspapers or something?

Every Sunday, papers all over the country had takeouts like this. Now, thanks to slashed budgets, space, staff and ambitions, only a lucky few get to chase, report and write them.

This is nice to read, but there's got to be a bean counter somewhere thinking, not on MY watch!

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is a real nice piece. But, SoCalDude is right.
    This story has been done several times. And, if you sub in Bo Belinsky, it's been done even more -- even more compelling.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm an often-critic of repetitious "theme" stories -- the local paper is in danger of driving me even more nuts than I am with the "I wear this tattoo and dedicate this season to my best friend/mom/brother/cousin who died in a shooting/car accident or of cancer/heart attack" genre -- but where are they now stories about people who were once huge are pretty fun if done right.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

But how "huge" was Ed O"Bannon?
    And how many people in Washington care or even remember him?

Draft saved Draft deleted