1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed Graney at the R-J

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blondebomber, Jul 24, 2006.

1. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I know there are a lot of Vegas posters on this board. I said on a previous thread I was going to give new Review-Journal columnist Ed Graney some time to find his Vegas voice before forming an opinion on the hire ... I have to say, given the "national search" for a such a position, I'm less than impressed. Am I missing something?

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

After less than two months? Give the guy SOME time.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Jeez, not quite sure what you're expecting there. Graney is solid. He's never been a columnist before. In time, he'll do well.

Heard that they moved Carp off the UNLV hoops beat. That should make you happy Bomber.

4. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Uh, two months is a measurement of SOME time. I'm guessing you think I should give him MORE time. I'll buy that. Maybe I should.

A byline count in our system shows 31 pieces. I'd say that's a decent sampling to get an idea on a guy. But I'll wait a little longer.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Blondebomber, I don't know how many times you've moved, but it's hard to get a feel for a city in two months, and without that it's going to be hard be your best, whether you're running a desk or writing a column -- aside from the lack of local knowledge, the basic quality will suffer while you try to catch up. I've tried the immersion method -- books, excessive driving around, dining in a different part of the city every day -- and still it takes awhile to get my bearings, certainly more than two months. And, as many writers have discovered, there is a big difference between writing a column a week and writing three or four every week, and that takes an adjustment, too. A professional journalist should give him at least a year to get acclimated. As for how much time the readers give him, well, that is out of the columnist's hands -- but in any case, the people who hired him did so with the knowledge that he'd be a newcomer in town. Perhaps they took a longer-range view in hiring an outsider, rather than promoting someone who knows the city and the people in it but is lacking in other areas.

6. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I recognize that. Just spurring a discussion on a major recent opening that had intrigued many people when it became available and when it was filled.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Agree.

And blonde, if you're going to do this for Ed, would you do the same for Hawk in the SE role? I'd say no, that he (and Ed) need minimum six months before you can come to conclusions about how they are doing. Though I suspect you have some opinions about Hawk.

8. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

BB--
    And I'm asking this seriously, what have those 31 bylines consisted of? UNLV summer stuff, some Team USA stuff?

I'm trying to think of what else he's had to go on.

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Jul 23: Prospects aplenty amid prep circus
    Jul 22: Hoops For Hope camp puts life skills in play
    Jul 20: USA Basketball bent on restoring old glory
    Jul 19: Rebel-raising Sanford still building home team
    Jul 18: UNLV fans could take brunt of cable battle
    Jul 16: Vargas' reputation takes serious pounding
    Jul 15: Get this: Boxing model for drug testing
    Jul 13: Powe trying to secure place with Celtics
    Jul 12: Knicks' Thomas not fretting 'ultimatum'
    Jul 09: UFC indulges fascination with bloodshed, for better or worse
    Jul 08: Heart in right place, but NCAA blows another call
    Jul 06: Sad day when Canseco more credible than MLB
    Jul 05: Koreans' work ethic driving golf success
    Jul 02: Royster manages to control temper
    Jul 01: Shocked -- shocked! -- there's cheating going on
    Jun 29: Draft is a crapshoot, but so is making NBA
    Jun 25: Career arc reflects virtues of substance over style
    Jun 24: Johnson, 20, eyes higher rung on stock-car ladder
    Jun 22: American heavyweightsdown forthe count
    Jun 21: Cuban out of bounds, but not his message
    Jun 18: Father's Day love comforts Jackson
    Jun 17: Gladiators look smart, but it's easy in offseason
    Jun 15: Guzman down, pout in Las Vegas
    Jun 14: Big Ben's wake-up call may not curb risk-taking
    Jun 12: Sublime mingles with ridiculous
    Jun 11: Rush coach knows his sport inside out
    Jun 10: Cup an intoxicating occasionfor fans who can't get their fill
    Jun 08: Kizer weathers stormy first week in charge
    Jun 07: Doubles still can be a pleasure in tennis
    Jun 04: Among those who matter most, Corrales' weighty decision unanimous
    Jun 03: Castillo camp's claims weighed down by fat lies
    Jun 01: Dodgers shouldn't desert Las Vegas
    May 31: Incoming UNLV chief hands-on with athletics
    May 28: Trading the beach for the bright lights of Las Vegas

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Thanks LC. ... I could have done that myself, except I'm a lazy bastard. Sorry.

11. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

See, that's where you an I will disagree. Hawk has been planning on his role as sports editor for YEARS. His curve should be much quicker than Graney's. Plus, Hawk knows the lay of the land. He knows the beats. He knows the city. He knows his staff blows. The only thing he doesn't know is that he's less than a pedestrian writer himself. I pray he's a much better manager.

12. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

The fact this thread has generated reposnses and discussion shows it's a topic people are interested in.

(shrug)

Draft saved Draft deleted