1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed Bouchette: Steelers beat writer or Turd?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 17, 2009.

1. From Steelers safety Ryan Clark who "upbraided" fans and the local media.

The whole story ... He also says he will keep his frustration in check and NOT go home and beat his wife or anything.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09351/1021591-66.stm

I'm gonna go with a higher standard ... They did win the Super Bolw last year.

2. I do find it odd that Clark uses the eagles as an example . . . they have perhaps the most fickle fanbase in the NFL. Possibly the most passionate as well, but they will boo their team, on occasion.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I read this online last night. In Clark's defense, he has been a stand-up guy when it comes to admitting his own mistakes this season, and there have been a lot of them. He seems to be standing up for his teammates more than himself and he seems to realize that the drop in his own level of play is a big reason the Steelers are going to miss the playoffs this year.

Yes, the Steelers are held to a higher standard. Part of that is being the defending champions. Part of that is the unreasonably-high expectations of the fans and some members of the media in that town. But to blame the media for being too harsh? Sorry. That's going to happen when your team falls on its ass and loses five in a row, including three against the dregs of the league (Chiefs, Raiders and Browns).

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's 10:55 a.m. and Pittsburgh beat writers still suck.

5. outofplace

TheSportsPredictable is more like it. (Though this time, it was a little funny just because you actually tweaked it.)

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I interviewed Billy "Dog" Brewer when he was shown the door at Ole Miss in the summer of 1994, a few days after arriving at my current gig.

He showed up at the old Holiday Inn and we went out to the swimming pool and talked about 45 minutes. His son, Gunter, now at Okie State, I believe, was with him. Think he was at ETSU or something at the time.

Anyway Brewer just let 'er rip. Ole Miss' AD at the time, Warner Alford, resigned on my first day at the job. Two days later, Brewer was history. Drove up to Oxpatch with one of my new co-workers. Felt like I took a Rosetta Stone mini-class on the drive up there, if ya know what I'm sayin' ...

Ole Miss was about to go on probation. There were a coupla strip joints in Memphis that had become the 'unofficial' peel palaces for the Ole Miss Rebels. Don't know if that meant getting your freak on, because frankly, well, um, never mind ....

Brewer just let 'er rip. Pulled out a metaphorical gatling gun and shot up half of college football. Florida State, in particular, if memory serves. If I'd known the dude any better, and/or liked and /or respected him, I mighta asked if he really wanted this in the paper.

I didn't.

I printed it.

He called my new colleague and said I was nothing more than a "turd with hair."

Welcome to the club, Ed Bouchette. Have a cold one. Better yet, have a newbie bring ya one.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Fred Honsberger decided that he'd rather die than listen to any more Steeler talk.

(Too soon?)

8. Hmm, I had no idea that "The Honz" had passed. I've been out of the city too long, I guess.

9. I will say this, I get a kick out of Bouchette's podcasts of Tomlins pressers, where Tomlin says something, then Bouchette breaks in to pretty much finish up the same thought that Tomlin was making, goes on to say "Tomlin also says blah blah blah," then Tomlin comes back on, and Bouchette breaks in and does it again. I always wonder, why don't you justy let us listen to Tomlin say it?

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

"YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, HE IS A CLOSE PERSONAL FRIEND OF MINE AND I DO SO SHUT UP!!!!" [/crossthread of that Colin dude name dropping all things Pittsburgh]

11. outofplace

Give it a rest, Zag. When you get one thread locked with your bullshit, that doesn't mean you should drag the same crap to another one.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, because you aren't as guilty as anyone around here of getting threads locked with bullshit.

You give it a rest.

Draft saved Draft deleted