1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ECU fined by Conference USA for fan celebration on the field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The ACC's academic requirements are above those of the NCAA, and many schools have standards above the ACC's minimum requirements.

Athletically, they care about something other than football - East Carolina recently dropped men's soccer. The ACC is head-and-shoulders above ECU in men's and women's basketball, men's and women's soccer, tennis, golf ... probably even a couple of George Carlin's proposed sports.

To answer your question more specifically, Drip, Clemson cares about sports other than football. Their textile and ag programs are outstanding, "cow college" shots be damned.

East Carolina has an excellent nursing school and produces decent teachers. On that front, good for them. It makes for a school with some redeeming qualities. It doesn't make the school top-notch either academically or athletically.

Meet a few of their fans and get back to me with your feedback.

2. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

You academic argument is perfectly fine. Don't correlate it with fans though. I could say the same for plenty of your beloved NC State/UNC/ACC faithful.

3. Sam Mills 51

AP, NCSU's fans are among the worst in the ACC. They're consistently worrying about the other Triangle schools instead of themselves.

Chapel Hill fans can be snooty and obnoxious.

Neither, on average, are as bad as East Carolina's fans. At least from my point of view. I understand you feel my fans' comment is a cheap shot, AP ... and I'd probably feel the same way if I were an East Carolina supporter.

But the worst, most obnoxious, most irrational, most idiotic things threatened, said and acted have come from ECU supporters in my world. As I've said before, NCSU fans have a serious inferiority complex because of Chapel Hill and Duke. ECU's inferiority complex is much worse.

4. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Having no dog in this fight, I think they're all pretty pathetic at times. Can also say they all have their good side as well. I've enjoyed an adult beverage with them all.

5. Sam Mills 51

I've enjoyed beverages and good conversation with quality people from all those schools. The president of the Pirates Club from one of my previous stops couldn't have been a nicer, more helpful and better person - and I had enough interaction with him to confirm that it was the man who really was that way, not someone who just needed positive press from me for a random story.

I've suffered through some BS with my alma mater's supporters. I'll take the former every time. I couldn't agree more that all of them can be pathetic at times.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sam to me a fan is just that, short for fanatic. I appreciate your response about ECU. I contend that if ECU joined the ACC, hey would upgrade everything from sports to academia.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Until I discover an alternative to eating food, farmers, and the land-grant schools that educate them, are A-OK with me.

BUt yes, ECU doesn't fit the ACC's academic profile. Not sure tha Miami does either, but it's a heck of a lot better in virtually every sport than ECU.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Miami actually has very good academics. You just couldn't guess it by scanning the bleachers at the OB Dolphin Stadium.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Miami's academics don't have to take a back seat to any school in the ACC.

Draft saved Draft deleted