1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EBT glitch leads to unlimited spending at Louisiana Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post--food-stamp-glitch-leads-to-wal-mart-stampede

I always love the word 'stampede'.

If you were in charge of the EBT program, would you do anything, or say "ah, fuck it"?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What do you expect from idiots running Walmart? They can't figure out in five seconds that there's something wrong? Nope, let them buy whatever they want!

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This wasn't a banner weekend for the EBT system. There were numerous reports of people's cards not working on Saturday.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Given the riot potential that existed if sales had been cut off, I'd say Wal-Mart officials did what they did to protect the store employees.

And it's not Wal-Mart's fault the EBT system failed.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What riots ensued when they did cut sales off?

Oh yeah, none.

6. TheSportsPredictor

Huge, huge riot.

Such a riot that it took her several hours to put a sign up.

And look at all these rioters in the Philly store:

[​IMG]

Completely out of control.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

One is more than none last time I checked. Just pointing out Starman's usual idiocy.

8. TheSportsPredictor

People walking out without paying ≠ riot.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This is the same bullshit "I'm gonna get mine" attitude we see with people who loot during natural disasters. Take whatever you can get, who gives a shit if it's right or wrong?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yet if it's an investment banker, we lionize it as the free market doing as it should.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That looks like the typical line on an average day where I shop.

Rant warning.......

One of my pet peeves is how certain stores --- including one that starts with a "W" --- can't hire enough checkout clerks. They'll have 25 checkout lanes in the store and only five of them staffed (no automatics at this particular store, either). It's like the lines are 8-10 customers deep at every register. I guess hiring a few more workers at $9 per hour will cut too deeply into their corporate profits. Heaven forbid they have to provide insurance coverage.

So we, the loyal paying customers, have to wait an extra 20 minutes in line.

For the record, I have NO ISSUE with express lanes. I think they are a good idea. When I am doing my bulk shopping and have 50-60 items, I often will let people with 1-2 things go in front of me (like the Ally Bank TV commercial).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.