1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ebert offers preemptive eulogy to the Sun-Times, Roeper reminsces of better days

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Can't believe I'm the first one to remark upon this.

The Ebert piece is the stone nuts.

So are the comments.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Re: Ebert offers preemptive eulogy to the Sun-Times, Roeper reminsces of better

Ebert's column was a beaut, except for this line:
    Yes, they allowed reporters to smoke at their decks in those days.

Based on his opening paragraph, I'm guessing he meant "desk." Also guessing the copy editors have left the building :-[

4. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

What a thing it would be if Slats Grobnik had a blog....

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'd read it.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fanfreakingtastic.

My favorite comment: "This is why I hate the internet, you can't romanticize it."

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ebert is a gem.

The Royko YouTube video underneath was a gem, too.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Great columns by both of them. I read Royko's books and he wasn't afraid to speak his mind to higher-ups. I know he had the clout, but people back then didn't suffer fools in the newsroom. From what I've read, there were a lot of hard smoking, hard talking people who got the job done. It's amazing how 30 years of butt kissing managers who speak gobblygook pretty much turned newspapers into the corporate pieces of shit we have today. All those dumb rules Gannett implemented throughout the years like quoting fans, etc. Oh for the good ol days. See you all soon in the unemployment line.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The comments section keeps getting better and better, on this one.

Sucker's got legs, for certain.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Awesome.

11. Castaway

Castaway New Member

Ebert has always been great, but if anything his writing has gotten better since he lost his ability to speak. He also spends a lot of time replying to comments to his blog (er, journal, sorry Roger), which I would not have expected.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Love reading stuff like Ebert's piece. Makes me remember why I got into this.

Hate reading stuff like Ebert's piece. Makes me realize how much we've lost already and will lose going forward.

Draft saved Draft deleted