1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

eBay

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Jun 30, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In a couple of weeks, we're going to have a yard sale (in and of itself a fun adventure).
    However, I went through a bunch of stuff that I've decided to sell on eBay (Tigervols, there's a thick Tennessee hooded sweatshirt with your name all over it). A laptop for parts, clothes, jerseys, hats ... somewhere around here, there's a commemorative tin of a dozen Nike Balls to honor Tiger's 2000 U.S. Open win at Pebble Beach, but I thing that's in the shed (and perfect for Birdscribe for the right price).

While I've sold on eBay before (as some here who have been asked to goose items), I haven't sold more than an item or two at a time (tho I would part with this Jack McDowell/Birmingham Barons bobblehead if I got the right offer).
    Any one out there experienced with the wonderful world of mass eBay selling who can offer suggestions?

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Don't guesstimate on shipping. Make sure you know how much it's going to cost (add in extra for the cost of the box, the tape, the gas to get to the post office).

The last time I did a mass sell, I underestimated the shipping and ended up taking a hit out of my profits.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Be upfront, photos and more photos, check completed listings (sales that already took place) to find the market price, then start with low prices with no reserve. If you are going to sell no matter what, start at 0.99 and let it ride. You will be amazed at how high something can go if you just start very low. Its a bit risky but if its worth something, the buyers will find it. Good luck.

4. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I have roughly 30 things for sale at any given time. My advice is to check your messages and your e-mail on a regular basis. I used to get really backed up with questions from people, and I wouldn't get a chance to answer them and I'd miss a sale.

If you don't have paypal set up, do that first thing. And use it to print your postage, too. That saves a ton of time by eliminating trips to the post office, and you also get a discount on postage.

If you have any other specific questions, please feel to PM me.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Most of the clothes are things that don't fit so I don't have a problem with starting at 99 cents. Someone offered me 50 bucks for an old P3 IBM laptop with no hard drive, no battery and a power cord that works occasionally, I'd take it.

Oh, I have PP... in fact have a business account, which means I can move money when I want, but PP also takes a chunk with every transaction.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Ah yes, communicate with people. I just bought shoes on ebay and never once heard from the seller ... not to send me a bill, not to let me know he'd received payment, not to let me know he had shipped. It was a bit frustrating and I let him know as much in my feedback.

I wish more people would provide tracking numbers for ebay purchases. That's how we do sales on our softball board.

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Accept PayPal only. I hate when something sells having to wait a week or so to receive a money order in the mail. I've found that buyers who use PayPal, 90% of them pay immediately or on the first day.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I usually do only accept PP...
    Flash, I hear ya, but tracking numbers are extra for post office shipments...

Question to the class: What's a good duration for clothes -- pants, shirts, nothing special or logoed... 3 days, 5 or 7?

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I always go with 7, especially if you're setting a low starting price like 99 cents.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Never heard of that before. Not once have I conducted a transaction on the softball board without receiving/supplying a tracking number.

It is included on many package costs:

http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm

11. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Only PayPal
    Lower starting prices
    No reserve prices
    Only ship via USPS (no FedEx or UPS stores, they cost too much)

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pretty much the way I'm headed...

Draft saved Draft deleted