1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eating at high school games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It crosses the line when ordinary readers would think it would cross a line. That involves using judgment and not just memorizing rules, which a lot of journalists hate.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is a very esoteric standard, but I think there is an element of sentiment and self-perception that's involved here.

In other words, if a reporter begins to "feel" bought off -- as I think most of us might if we were receiving real gifts, money, plane tickets, etc. -- well, then yes, they're being subliminally, and not-so-subliminally, persuaded to write "positively" or in a biased manner. There is a certain level of professionalism and training that most journalists have (or used to have, anyway) that will make the level of "favors" rise, or not, and that will raise a reporter's antenna, or not.

A press-box hot dog and pretzels generally won't do it, nor would they be expected to do it. That other stuff you mentioned? Yes, it probably would, and be expected to do so. If it doesn't, then the reporter is doing something wrong, and the team/source is expecting, or at least, hoping, for that.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hersheypark Stadium could be a cold, cold place to cover a game in December. But there were few things better than three-quarters filling a cup with good, free hot chocolate, then grabbing 3-4 of the free mini-peanut butter cups and plopping them in to melt.

That was good stuff. And probably saved me from a minor case of frostbite in a concrete press box.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Most colleges provide free food before football or basketball games and most pro teams do so but charge 5 or 10 dollars. I think most writers would gladly pay for the meal that teams provide. A lot of times reporters and photographers, even though the bastards who sit in offices all day would never believe it, have a hard time squeezing in a meal at proper times to make sure she/he have some energy when it's time to work.
    Let's say a football game starts at 1 p.m. Usually traffic is stressful and deep around the stadium so the reporter arrives at the 1 p.m. football game at 10:45. Let's say the reporter picked up some fruit at the hotel before leaving for the game but didn't have any interest in going to sit down at a restaurant and eat. She/he wanted to get to the game before traffic would interfere with coverage.
    The reporter/phogographer could go from 11 a.m. until about 7:30 or 8 p.m. with just a piece of fruit in the stomach. That's not conducive to providing the body enough energy to report on a game and then write a story or two and do a podcast and video as well.
    This really is a barbaric business when you think about the photographer who sparked this thread is complaining about a reporter buying food from a concession stand.
    My point is a.) if a reporter/photographer wants to buy some food at the concessions stand to stave off fatigue and passing out at the game, that photographer mentioned in this thread should condone it not chastise the writer for doing so.
    And b.) if the team is providing a meal, the reporter should eat it because she/he could go all day/night with only an apple in her/his stomach in the scenario I provide. The bean counters of the world would laugh and say the reporter could have gotten up at 7:30, gone to eat at a fine restaurant, gotten to the game in plenty of time and then brought an energy bar or two to the game.
    In conclusion ... yes the reporter/photographers should eat anything provided them at games. If the school or pro team wants to charge for it, that's fine. But the reporter/photographer/podcaster/videographer needs a little bit of food to function when working 11 a.m to about 8 p.m. in the scenario I provide.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If somebody offers to buy you dinner at Ruth's Chris, they want something in return. If somebody throws some pizzas or hotdogs on a table and says have at it, they're just trying to make life a little easier on everyone involved.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I agree.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My photographer goes out of his way to help support the local schools. He'll even go so far as buying water for the officials. Everyone accuses me of favoring one school over another but my photog is a saint in their eyes.

8. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Okay, here's a dilemma from the other side.

We're playing Grand Canyon -- and for the record, Dan Majerle and the GCU have put together a great program -- with five minutes to go before tipoff. Their SID brings me over some pizza and a drink.

I'm sitting at the scorer's table next to my coach. The pizza smells delicious, but no way in heck do I eat DURING the game. So I waited until halftime. Apparently, this is both proper etiquette and protocol.

Do you basketball writers each court side during the game? One dive for a ball would make for a messy situation....

9. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

How was your cold pizza?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One of the highlights of covering the Indy 500 for a while was Team Penske's annual media dinner at the downtown Ruth's Chris. But Roger Penske and his teams always got favorable media coverage as the top dogs in the series, so he really couldn't buy anyone in the room per se. Except maybe the stray blogger who would arrive uninvited and chow down like it was his last meal.

11. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Pretty damn good. Especially when we down 15 at half

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.