1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eastbound & Down on HBO

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 16, 2009.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm going to follow Zeke and Simon's advice and not even try No. 3. Two was plenty for me.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

At least they avoided an obvious reference. Shelby is about an hour's drive west of Charlotte and it's in Cleveland County.

Still, it's not funny.

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

So, the guy forces his worshipping assistant/co-worker to say he was the one driving drunk after a crash, starts shooting up steroids and sells a toilet seat with his likeness on it? Where is the part that's supposed to make me like this guy? And now the former girlfriend is starting to fall for him again? Why? This show sucks.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Jimmy Fallon is 10 times more funny than this drek.

April is fun to look at, but goddamn.... what was Danny McBride thinking?

This could be a career derailer.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Will Ferrell was back on tonight's episode.
    For some reason, I just can't get enough of Katy Mixon.
    I also just realized that the actors who play Stevie and the principal also play regular recurring characters on Reno 911.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've seen the first four episodes and it does not look promising.

Too bad, because I really want to like this show.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The show is heavily modeled after modern British cringe humor series. I think the show is quite good as a member of that genre. That said it's not a show that's easy to digest - especially if you're expecting something a standard HBO comedy series would deliver.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I agree with that, except I don't think I could say HBO would surprise me with that after "Curb." HBO essentially introduced British-type cringe humor to the States with that. I can't remember watching a comedy always waiting for the shoe to drop until Larry David.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I can't get that Kenny Rogers song that they played at the end of the show out of my head.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Why pay for DVR when everything is replayed three or more times and often also available on OnDemand?

I guess all those 80s/90s comedians were correct with their jokes about how Americans can't program a VCR.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

We saw what we are led to believe are April's boobies...

Other than that, yet another episode of less than zero redeeming value. I watched every one, unfortunately.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I watched last night, for the second time, and I realize now why I don't really like this show.
    1. I grew up in North Carolina, among people who were way too much like these people. (Nice use of the Cheerwine truck, though.)
    2. I've spent too many years covering pro athletes. Kenny's self-centered grandiosity is a parody, but it really isn't all that exaggerated. I deal with these assholes every day. I don't need to watch them on my own time.

Draft saved Draft deleted