1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EA's NFL Head Coach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nafselon, Jun 14, 2006.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

For all the gamers on the board.

Anyone thinking about picking this one up? I'm sure it'll be a $50 buy but it looks in-depth as hell and I've been waiting for a thorough football coaching sim that keep up with "Baseball Mogul".

http://www.easports.com/nflheadcoach/home.jsp

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm interested, but will rent it first.

Is it true that if you have a SOCOM headset, you can actually call plays through it?

3. top_dog

top_dog New Member

In years past, EA's Madden games always seem to curse the player on the cover of the game with a season-ending injury.

On the cover of the inaugural NFL Head Coach? Bill Cowher.

4. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Read through the two-page ad for this one and have to say I'm pretty interested. If and when I update my system (still plod along with an SNES and a lot of old games, believe it or not), I'll have to give this one a look.

With my skills, though, all my assistants would leave during Week 9 and I'd be canned by the first week of December.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Saw this in a magazine a few weeks ago and was also intrigued. But is it just coaching and managing? You don't get to play? I just think that would wear off for a while.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm more interested in NCAA 2007, which may be the last game I buy for the Xbox. Either I elevate to the 360 or I bid a sad farewell to video gaming.

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I think you play, but it's a small percentage of each week's buildup (something like 10 percent, I think). So, yeah, the games are still there ... probably.

8. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

Why make this a seperate game? EA could've just added this feature to Madden and saved lots of folks $50.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Are you serious?
    EA is noTORIous for doing stuff like this.
    EA has the NFL rights, it can pretty much do whatever it wants. This company, like every other company, cares about making money first. To do that, having this EA Coach will do exactly that.

Electronic Arts has some silly (IMO) practices when it comes to its sports games, especially Madden. Little add ons for each new game with little or no graphical advances: 2005 to 2006. IMO, ESPN's NFL2K6 blew Madden out of the water.

Example: For Madden 2006 for the 360, EA TOOK OUT parts of the game you could play in the regular Xbox version! So now in 2007, they'll add all of the stuff it took out in 2006 to make the game more appealing.

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I don't think you get to play in terms of running with the control pad but you call each play and communicate with the coaches in between or suggest changes to your coordinators (who you have given playcalling duty too, etc.).

11. Dynasty99

Dynasty99 Member

I think they should have just added a more basic version of this feature in the new madden to hype it up before actually releasing a game based on it. That'll save a lot of money for everyone cause if people didnt really like it, then EA could just take a different approach.

I'll probably end up renting it.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

They're not in business to save people money.....

Draft saved Draft deleted