1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earnest Byner's not available.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Dec 7, 2008.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Which makes it all the more incredible why a team would consider hiring him now. He couldn't even win a playoff game when he coached LT, Rivers, Gates, etc. Norv freakin' Turner got that same group to the AFC Championship Game.

How can the Browns - who experienced several Schottenheimer postseasons - still want him?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Schottenheimer may not be a good playoff coach, but the guy can build a fucking team. Turner got Marty's guys to the AFC title game. Now look at them. His team is sputtering and Tomlinson is on pace to have the fewest amount of carries he's ever had in a season.

So let me get this straight. The Chargers are floundering and they're giving the ball to their best player less and less? Yeah, that makes sense.

The reality is Turner benefited from what Marty did. Schottenheimer can build an organization. He can take your team when it's shit and make it better. He did it in Cleveland. He did it in KC. He was starting to do it in Washington, and he's done it in San Diego. The track record is flat out apparent to anyone who wants to pay attention.

But if you'd rather judge him by his playoff victories, that's fine. All it says is that he can't finish the job. But in too many cases he's at least gotten the job started. And at least he gets teams INTO the playoffs. What did the Browns ever do after he was gone? Same thing for KC? The Redskins made significant progress in the span of a season, fired him, and pissed it all away. The Chargers are in the midst of doing the same thing.

Teams that want to get into the playoffs should absolutely hire Marty. I'll never argue that he'll win you a Super Bowl because odds are he won't. But he'll get you to the playoffs, which is foreign territory to the Browns.

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Fair enough, FB. But once he gets you from sea level to base camp, how long do you wait before bringing in someone who can get you to the summit? Because the window for good teams to win championships is very small.

Schottenheimer is an exceptional regular season coach. But he does not belong in the same tier as Holmgren, Belichick, Parcells, Cowher, Dungy, etc. who were at least able to win the big one once.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The guy has taken a beating and his shelf life is fast coming to an end. Can't blame Norv for that one.

5. Flying Headbutt

Suburbia, that varies from team to team. But it's probably a choice teams would rather be facing than wondering if they're in the running for the 4th, 5th, or 6th pick in the draft next spring. That's my point. At least he gets you there, moves you forward, and leaves you a better team than you were.

And Wicked, I'm sorry, but when did LT become washed up? Because his shelf life isn't over yet, even if it's going down hill. Norv just thinks Rivers can carry a team when he's never been able to do anything of the sort. That the Chargers have gotten substantially worse isn't because Tomlinson has started to fade.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I agree with Airborne Cranial Collision. The Browns need a coach who can rebuild that organization from top to bottom and make them competitive. Other than Cowher, Schotty is the best guy available with a track record of doing that. And if he did manage to win a Super Bowl with them, it would be the NFL equivalent of John McNamara leading the 2004 Red Sox to the WS title.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I will murder someone if this happens.

I will try to make it Marty...but I make no promises. I may take out Savage as collateral damage.

Wonder if Marty can get Marc Trestman out of the CFL to come back to Cleveland.

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Fixed.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to imply that he's totally washed up, FH, but he is on the back 9. And he's been banged up. He's been in the league eight seasons now. Name me one guy who's at an All-Pro level after season 9 or 10. Long term, they need to start leaning more on Rivers to take some of the wear and tear off LT and prolong his life a season or two.

10. Flying Headbutt

Philip Rivers is not the answer. And you can't possibly be arguing that the course the Chargers are taking is the wise one. They're remarkably worse this year.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The smart move would have been for the Chargers not to let Michael Turner go and really utilize both of their backs. They need to address life without LT sooner rather than later.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe they can sign LaMont Jordan to be LT's heir apparent.

Draft saved Draft deleted