1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earn the Silver Star, get demoted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cadet, May 3, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That they do.

And an outdated policy it is.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Three bags - I'll disagree with you (or Napoleon) about the medals part. Every soldier I've known doesn't fight for his country or a medal. They fight for each other.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You have my respect -- but this calibre of topic needs all the agitation it can attract.

I'm not letting the assholes who engineered this clusterfuck for their personal self-aggrandizement get off the hook, ever.

They should all get EXACTLY what they deserve.

Carry on.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't really know how I feel about the policy. Part of me knows some women can handle it, but the other part knows the issues it would cause.

Like OIF 1, for example. I have a buddy in the 3rd Infantry Division -- a tanker -- who went a month and a half without a shower. I don't know too many women who'd want to deal with that type of hygiene issues.

Gotta run to school. I'll be back this afternoon to continue the discussion.

5. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

She has a Silver-fricking-Star. She is a certified by God hero. There ain't no stinking demotion in this.

The goal of every grunt is to get the hell out of harm's way with all your body parts intact.

This isn't a demotion. This is the Big Bird home, baby!

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Great quote

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

From, perhaps, one of the greatest examples of the Peter Principle in all of Generaldom.

Yeah, let's take on the Russians in the dead of winter. That's always been a sharp move.

Last top-drawer French military leader who went out on the battlefield on a high note was Joan of Arc. She's got my full respect. She must have been one helluva leader.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It would be nice if men would stop assuming they know what women can and can't deal with.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Consider the source, chickie.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Napoleon's army was probably the fastest in military history. He deserves something for that.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hey now.

I certainly disagree with TBF's statement about showers, and my first wife was a sailor herself and I knew full well and good she could do virtually anything ANY sailor could do, male or female.

But TBF is speaking from field experience, and the field is quite a bit different from shipboard life.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Still, his point seemed to be -- and I'm willing to grant he just didn't make it clear (to me) -- is that women think going without showers on the battlefield would be too icky and gross to consider.

Draft saved Draft deleted