1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Early starting MLB 2015-16 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Oct 5, 2015.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I know we have a postseason thread on here, but I'm figuring that's for the playoff games and the teams in them. As it is, there are already being some moves made today for the teams whose season has ended:

Matt Williams, of course, and his coaching staff were fired by the Nationals

The Angels introduced Billy Eppler, the former Yankees assistant GM, as their GM today, and board favorite Mike Scioscia confirmed to the OC Register that he'll be back as manager in 2016 (he had an opt-out clause that he won't exercise)

Padres interim manager Pat Murphy won't be back in 2016. Former Padre Phil Nevin has been rumored for that job.

Marlins have a managerial opening now, and reportedly got permission to interview Larry Bowa, after already having talked to Bo Porter and Manny Acta (Marlins express interest in Bowa as Phils make coaching changes)

So I believe the only managerial openings right now are the Marlins, Nationals and Padres, though there's been speculation about Lloyd McClendon in Seattle since the new GM has been hired.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dusty Baker's name came up for the Marlins job. I'm sure they have several young arms he can ruin.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Mariners new GM Jerry Dipoto says he doesn't intend to trade Nelson Cruz, Felix or Cano because he thinks the Mariners are close to contention with those guys. He wants to build around those guys, Seager and Taijuan Walker.

Maybe the Mariners can contend quickly, but given how poorly their farm system is rated, I don't really see how they can turn it around quickly without flipping Cruz, Cano and/or Felix for several impact prospects. Seems overly optimistic to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted