1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earl Campbell can barely walk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It was his style of play multiplied by the number of years using that style.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I remember watching him finish out his career with the Saints. It was sad just how broken-down he already was at that point.

3. I covered Texas-Ohio State two years ago when UT unveiled the new statue of Earl Campbell. It took him about two minutes to walk from a golf cart to the podium, another 30 seconds to take off his sunglasses (and he needed help), and he needed his brother there to help him stand the entire time.

It's truly sad what happened to him. He's one of the good guys who will sit and talk football with you for a long time.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And right there, is why Ricky Williams got himself suspended/retired from the Dolphins in 2004.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Earl's not the only one, either. There are a lot of guys in the same condition who aren't as well known.

The saddest cases are the guys who have mental infirmities to go along with their broken bodies. All those years of high impact collisions can do some nasty things to the brain.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

He looks 75 in that head shot.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is great news. I saw him at the Super Bowl in Houston four years ago and it freaked me out.

And please stop the Tiki Barber-bashing. His greatest sin is that he dared break the code of silence in the locker room. He dared to defy the nonsensical macho ethos of football, which says you have an obligation to play until you become debilitated. People hate Tiki Barber because he had options in his life and he exercised them.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

no.

People hate Tiki Barber because he comes off as a self-serving, pretentious twit.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I hope my instincts are wrong, but I have a feeling Eddie George might be in for a rough future. He logged a lot of carries.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Conrad Dobler's a virtual cripple reliant on walkers.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The "only-in-the-NFL" story of former United Way promo guy while with the Chiefs... Joe Phillips

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2006/072006/07252006/208765/printer_friendly

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

See Phillips, Bum.

Draft saved Draft deleted