1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E&P Says The Times Took A Dive

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Aug 13, 2006.

1. This continues to fascinate me.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002985837

Without getting into the argument about the program again, does anybody think if the NYT had revealed this before the election it would have cost the administration enough votes to affect the outcome? Having watched the debate since the NYT finally ran the story, I doubt it. However, no paper the size of the NYT should sit on a story for the reason that it might affect the outcome of an election. It's SUPPOSED to do that.

2. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Like I've said many times before, our Washington colleagues are, in general, failing us bigtime. Partially, it's the corporations that own us. Mostly, it's us.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

But is it really the corporations holding back the stories?

Or is it the old-boy Washington club, no one wanting to scoop each other? You scratch my back, I scratch yours.

Or am I overthinking this?

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Every story affects the outcome of elections.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm glad the NYT took its time and got the story right. For the simple fact that if they had come out in October '04 with a half-baked story, they'd certainly have been Dan Rathered.

Never mind that 90 percent probably would've been true, like the National Guard story. The Bushies would've found an error and hammered it home.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think Fenian chipped to the green but the rest of you failed to make the putt ... they held the story for fear it would HELP Bush, not because they thought it might hurt him.

Draft saved Draft deleted