1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E&P Salary story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 26, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

well that just ruined my fucking day.

3. Yup, mine too.

4. At least now I know I'm not the only one getting screwed! Somehow, though it doesn't make me feel all that much better about my pay.

5. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

I almost puked.

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I don't think salary is the biggest issue.

I think the larger concern should be working conditions. A $52,000 median salary for a sports editor actually sounds fair to me, but the late nights and weekends and loads of deadline stress and so forth aren't worth it.

That's why I went the freelance route. It wasn't the salary. I make about what I made before I quit my job in February. But I have almost no stress and a lot of leisure and family time. I can't put a price on that. I'm much happier and don't know whether I'd give up the happiness for twice what I'm making now.

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I puked because I'm making waaaaay below the starting average salary..and yet here I am...

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yes! Only a couple more years until I'm making the average starting salary! Maybe I'll get to eat at Waffle House that night :)

I knew I was in trouble a couple years ago when I saw a news story on CNN or somewhere talking about how many people were living below the poverty line -- and then defining "poverty" as making less than $30,000 a year.

9. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

How can that average starting salary be right? You'd have to start out at a large paper to make that much. I'd venture to say the vast majority of young reporters start out at smaller papers making under $25K.

10. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

All is proceeding as I have foreseen.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted