1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dying Professor's last lecture... wow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Sep 24, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/PersonOfWeek/story?id=3633945&page=1

There is a place in the story to click on the video and see his lecture. It's about "living your childhood dreams." The guy has terminal liver cancer and was given months to live. If I ever face anything half as traumatic as that I hope I handle it with the stoicism, humor and easiness of this guy. What a lecture.

EDIT: Not posting links, but his entire lecture is on YouTube in pieces. Just type "Randy Pausch" in.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Forget Morrie, I want to spend Tuesdays with this guy.

3. The Wall Street Journal ran something on this Thursday. Here's the article (free), which includes a link to Carnegie Mellon's version of the complete speech. The YouTube ones aren't very high quality.
    http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/public/article/SB119024238402033039.html

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Finally got a chance to watch this.... please, please invest even a portion of its significant length and sit down.

You may find it exceptionally difficult to pull away. A true, true learning experience.

Apparently, JJ Abrams gave Pausch a role with a line of dialog in the upcoming Star Trek movie.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Here's the full lecture in one video:

Amazing stuff.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't watch the video until later, but I just read the Wall Street Journal article. As I type this, I am sitting a few feet away from a co-worker whose mother has pancreatic cancer. She has had two "mini strokes," but other than that, he really hasn't told us much. But we know it is bad.

I'm sitting here thinking I can't wait to hear this speech. And I'm thinking how much I admire this man before I even get to hear all of his words. And how much I feel for his wife and children. And how young 46 is. And I'm thinking of my friend and what he is about to lose. I've been where he is now, watching cancer take a parent away. I know just how bad that last conversation is going to be, and how nothing will prepare you for the moment the person you love is really gone.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Ragu. These kinds of thoughts are not a great place to dwell, but they can be a powerful inspiration, just like Randy Pausch.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I skipped class. Is there going to be an exam on this? [/horriblegoingtohelljoke]

8. That was a very useful 45 minutes for me.

Thanks for letting us know about this, Ragu.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I had heard about it from a friend yesterday, and then did a post search for Pausch's name before I put up about the man.... and there was ol' Eddie Spaghettisauce's post.

Well done, indeed.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

He was on Oprah back in September. I believe that was the last media thing he was going to do. Haven't seen or heard what the update is. I think he's still alive as I haven't seen an obit in the paper. He gave a shortened version of his speech on Oprah and I saved it on my TiVo and have made several of my friends watch it. Quite moving.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You only say that because he's it's true

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Mitch already spent Tuesday's with this guy. He's working on a book about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted