1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dwyane Wade, Ray Allen think NBA players should get paid for Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Patriotism, schmatriotism.

Yes, the United States and other countries have framed their periodic dick-measuring affair in those terms, but that doesn't mean that we or the athletes have to buy into it.

Pay the man.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Devil, let's say someone payed a billion dollars form the rights to SJ. And SJ got this billion by promoting and selling copies of your posts. You were a big part of the appeal, let's say. And when the SJ I overlords responded to your inquires about their obscene profits by saying "Well, this will just raise your profile. We get a billion and your get to be more-widely known. It's up to you from there."

How would that make you feel?

The Olympics, much like the NCAA, is not what it once was. It's a business. Much like the Ryder Cup. Someone gets paid a huge amount of money. For the life of me, I can't understand why you want it to be a huge corrupt organization and want the labor to continue to be free just because it's always been that way.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And how much should baseball and soccer players be paid?

If Wade and Allen to not want to be paid, let another player take their spot.

4. Dick Whitman

Whatever they can get.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

More free labor! Shut up and like it and let the rich make their goddamn money! If you won't work for pennies a day for the good of the State, perhaps someone in China will!

Right?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If I was making $10 mil a season, like these guys, I would not give a shit.

I would feel much better about paying the third best fencer we have than these guys.

7. Dick Whitman

In fairness, there is a long tradition in the Western world of laboring patriotically for your benevolent state overlords.

[​IMG]

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Whatever the market price is for their services?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

First-page Nazi references are my favorite. Makes for thread gold.

10. Dick Whitman

Well, at least we've got it on the table now. These ... hmmmm ... um ... hmmmm ... how do I put this ... guys should take what their benevolent corporate overlords have given them to this point and be happy with it.

Every morning, I get to hear truck drivers and pipe fitters call talk radio and bitch about how they make $20 an hour and Running Back A should be grateful to make the money he makes.

I come here to escape that b.s.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But enough about Huffington Post.

12. Dick Whitman

That's slavery and the Holocaust in a few days. I'm going to work 9/11 into a thread soon and capture the triple crown.

Draft saved Draft deleted