1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dwight Howard: God will help Magic beat Lakers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sirvaliantbrown, May 31, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Overweight, ugly, sick, unemployed, poor, female, religious, nonreligious ... need I go on?

Your point was that a bias against the strongly religious is the only "acceptable" one left. Your point was completely wrong.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I totally disagree on sick, unemployed, and female. Who do you hang out with?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes, unemployed people feel perfectly acceptable in today's society. No bias whatsoever. What sort of fantasy land do you live in?

Christ, read the JTO threads sometime.

4. Guy_Incognito

Who said anything about feeling acceptable? My point is that people will say things about seriously religious people that they wouldn't say about anyone else because it is socially unacceptable. You think it is socially acceptable to rip make fun of women and the unemployed?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

In many corners, absolutely. You ever been in a locker room? Or many newsrooms, for that matter?

6. Guy_Incognito

I would argue that that is not socially acceptable. I high schools the list is larger too. My point is that as a society we have come far enough that for the most part, prejudices have been pushed to the fringes with a couple of exceptions. You're talking about fringes.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And yours isn't a fringe?

Again, in many corners, bias against those demographics that I named is not a fringe sentiment. It's absolutely the majority.

8. Guy_Incognito

No, I don't think it is.

And again, I can't claim to have hit every corner, but I don't find that to be the case. Look at this board for example. Fat, ugly, religious - fair game. Non-religious, female, unemployed, poor - absolutely not.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, in my corners, I have found that to be the case. And I've found yours to be not only a fringe bias, but almost nonexistent in some areas.

So ... there you go. Agree to disagree.

10. Guy_Incognito

Agreed.

Only thing I will ask is, do you find that this board conforms more with your perception or mine? It's not a gotcha - we could be atypical.

11. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

I'm a Christian, but I don't think God really cares too much about who wins and who loses. If someone wins, and they're Christian, it's an opportunity for that Christian to use that effort to bless someone. How, I'm not sure. I guess blessing the owner who already perhaps seems overblessed, unless he's Jerry Jones, who bless his heart, can't sell the name to his stadium. Snort.

Draft saved Draft deleted