1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dwayne jarrett, fraud???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Mar 28, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Buh... buh... buh. Brodie Croyle is supposed to start!!!! [/sec/bama fanboys who love quarterbacks who get a lot of yardage but cant throw or run]

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I know there's a case for saying he's costing himself rooking money, but if you come in and play well at receiver in this league, you're going to get yours down the line.

I think he's going to be a very good player for a long time in this league, with a lot of money to show for it at the end.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

if he becomes a star, no doubt, he'll more than make up the money. but if he's mike williams redux. that 40 time will have cost him a couple of mil forever. the streets are littered with top 10 duds who can survive a loooong time on that first signing bonus. that's the point here.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sure, that's the if. But why are GM's and scouts in general so enamoured with 40 times? I honestly ask because there are workout warriors every year who aren't good football players, and player who supposedly underperform in things like this and go on to have good if not great careers.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You nailed it GB. A football player is a football player. Yes, fast and strong are good qualities. But you can't measure the thing that makes some guys playmakers and some guys duds. There were teams that thought Jerry Rice was too slow to be anything but an average receiver. I'm not saying Dwayne Jarrett will be any good, but that 40 time could be meaningless. He's a decent-sized receiver, with excellent hands, who showed an ability to make plays for a big time college program. Isn't how you perform on the field what should be important, not how fast you run for a guy holding a stop watch?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

40 times matter for receivers because completing just one or two long passes is the equivalent of a home run in football. Defenses are scared to death of the deep ball. 40 times are why guys like Ashley Lelie, Lee Evans and Bernard Berrian have jobs at all.

7. ~~wakes up from 3 year dream ~~~

You mean that wasn't Jarrett burning all those cornerbacks with faster 40-times for USC?

Plaxico Burress isn't a speed burner and he finds a way to get over the top against deep coverages and dare I say, Jarrett has much better hands than that droopy punk.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Thanks for the compliment, but why is the 40 time myth perpetuated? Is it solely for the purpose of allowing the Kiper's of this world to pick at players inbetween the end of the season and the draft?

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Are you saying Mike Williams slipped b/c of a bad 40 time? Or are you saying Jarrett will become like Williams and hardly if ever touch the field? Williams slipped primarily b/c he missed a whole year of football, not b/c of a terrible 40 time. And since when is a 40 time of 4.62 or 4.67 for a guy who is 6-3, 230 terrible? Nobody expected him to run a 4.3 or a 4.4. People even though he'd be slower than what he ran. In my eyes that helps his stock.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

40 times are important for wideouts 'cause it is a measurable gms and personnel guys use to rate a prospect's, well, prospects. it's not as if jarrett won't be taken relatively high. but it darn well will impact on how high he goes. and even if it means ge "slips" to the 20-25 range, that's a lot of money lost compared to a top 10 guy.

hey, for all anyone knows, maybe he'll be better than calvin johnson. but if anyone thinks running the low 4.6s as opposed to johnson's sub-4.4 won't cost jarrett some green, you don't know the drill.

p.s. -- the mike williams comparison, valid or not, makes nfl types wonder if it's the system or the player. it's just part of the paralysis through over-analysis that goes on.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

For anyone who is curious Sydney Rice from the other USC is getting a bit of flack for not redoing his 40 from the Combine (4.55) during his pro day.
    I really just don't think these guys care unless they are being labeled as one of the burners.

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I mean everyone knows how fast you runs in shorts and t-shirt means the world when you strap on the pads. Come on! There's 40 speed and there's football speed. Jerry Rice didn't have 40 speed, but there weren't many that could cover him no matter what routes he ran. I'm not saying you can run a 5.0 40 as a WR and be good, but 4.4 and 4.6 isn't nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted