1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dwayne jarrett, fraud???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Mar 28, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

the ever-slipping usc wideout could be headed for mike williams-dom. he reportedly ran the 40 from anywhere from 4.6-4.65 secs today in his private workout. that is sloooow by today's standards. i mean, former southern cal star keyshawn johnson ran under 4.5 in his pristine-conditions workout in '96.

in the land ruled by stopwatches, jarrett lost a lot of money today. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Didn't Anquan Boldin run a 4.81?

3. Since when did 40 numbers mean a player does or doesn't have other NFL quality skills?

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

It doesn't. But it can and does knock you down most draft boards. It does cost you $.

5. Didn't Jerry Rice run a 4.6?

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes, jerry rice ran a 4.6. emmitt smith ran in the low 4.6s. and that's why both were taken lower than you'd expect. they both went in round 1, but the most righteous bucks for rookies comes in the top 10. the nfl is filled with players who are better than their 40 times.

the fact remains, few have the balls to take guys super high at receiver, running back and cornerback who don't time at 4.5 or better. just a fact.

jarrett could prove to be terrific. but he'll have to wait until his second contract to be paid like it. and if he's not great, then he'll never make up the rookie contract he cost himself with his 40 times.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That clinches it: "With the second pick in the draft, the Detroit Lions take...."

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Why take a reciever in the first round anyway? It's seems to be one of the hardest positions to project, and to have plenty of success stories from late rounds.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

profootballtalk.com thinks Jarrett is first-round worthy:

"We'd previously left USC receiver Dwayne Jarrett out of the first round of our mock draft because our sources believed that he would run a 4.7 or slower in the 40-yard dash.

A league source tells us that Jarrett ran a 4.62 on grass, which teams generally regard as equivalent to the FieldTurf on which recruits run at scouting combine.

"NFL.com lists Jarrett's times as 4.62 and 4.67.

"It's good enough to vault Jarrett back into the first round of our yanked-from-our-rear-ends projection of picks."

10. girl friday

girl friday Member

It isn't the determining factor in whether or not you have NFL skills, but workouts have made players tons of money over the years (Mike Mamula, anyone?) and it can lose it just as quickly.

And amraeder, I completely agree with you -- I think receiver is one of, if not the, most overrated position in football. Too many other things have to happen before those preening divas (not all, but many) get to do their job.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This is excellent news.

It gives me hope that Jarrett can drop all the way to my (crappy) team's early second-round slot. Guy catches the ball, he makes plays. The mention of Mike Mamula is enough to show that workouts are not the be-all, end-all,

Hell, now I'm dreaming that the raiders, seeing they can get him, unload Moss for some picks to pick up Jarrett.

OK, they're not that smart. But a downtrodden fan can dream.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That's fine -- let him slip to 23 so KC can pick him up. It doesn't look like Trent Green is going anywhere just yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted