1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DVDs -- where do you get the time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Dec 27, 2006.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

... late at night when the wind is still

2. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I don't recommend this:

My wife got me hooked on The O.C. To catch up with this season by November, I watched three seasons in about three weeks. That shit will fuck with your head to the point of thinking that California would be a nice place to live and work.

Then you remember the business you're in, how little it pays and how much California costs. Then you sulk for about a week.

Then you watch the first two seasons of House and turn into a grumpy asshole.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

You call that living? :)

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ha! ;)

All the proof I need: It was 77 degrees and sunny when I woke up Christmas morning.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Midway throuugh season six . . .that's about the point the show fizzles and goes past the point of no return. Consider yourself warned: it only gets worse. Th only reason I'm sticking around is because I hope it's over after this season.

As for time for DVDs . . . . there are eight or nine shows I tape every week (fewer with the untimely demise of Day Break and The Nine), and my wife and I somehow find the time to watch them each week when we get home from work. DVDs, we own a few movies, maybe 40 or so. TV shows, we have the old-school Star Trek, and watched about 2-3 a night when we bought them.

But we both work the late shift, and stay up until the wee hours. A friend calls his and his wife's first child "The Dream Killer." I suspect the DVD watching and other recreational activity becomes more difficult when you have one of those.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Piotr: Totally agree. This was the year I decided Lorelai, however hot she might be, was among the most despicable characters in the history of series television. I stopped watching after episode 2 of this season. I'm done with it.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

She is indeed despicable. And hot. Throw in the Web rumors that they're setting it up so she leaves Christopher - who she eloped with in Paris this year - to get back with Luke, and you have writers who are out to turn her into Whorelai.

It's not compelling or interesting. It's utter dreck, attempting to get the 13-year-olds, the ones who sit on the edge of their seat to see if Chase is gonna nail Buffy or Muffy, or if Britney is gonna choose Chad or Chance as her prom date on whatever nighttime teenage serial they are watching. They have roomsful of these idiots analyzing the show each week, to complete the wholly unwatchable package.

BUT . . . . I started with the show almost on Day One. Part of me still wants to see how it ends, so I sludge through the utter stupidity it has become.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

What the Palladinos did with the show in season six is a crime. I don't know if they will get another season, but I've read that the show still does pretty well in its target audience.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm pretty sure it's done after this season.

Last year, Rory was completely unlikable. Now it's both Rory and Lorelai.

You can only keep me watching so long with cameos by Grandma and Michelle.

I'll get through the rest of this season, and I'm done.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

You guys are KILLING me with the Gilmore Girls spoilers. Though I did know Lorelai married dorkus supremus Christopher.

The Palladinos aren't writing the show anymore, so that could explain a lot. You'd like to think the Palladinos wouldn't have OKd the concept of morons discussing the show in a dorm room.

Before watching all of season five, I told my wife I didn't like what Rory had turned into in the handful of current episodes I'd seen...she seemed to go from this dutiful, obedient daughter to a rebel who was just another dumb college kid until she dropped out and moved in with grandma and grandpa. The way the story developed made her less unlikable, but it's still inconsistent with how the kid was in season 1. I guess that's life...kids change a lot from high school to college.

That said, the Luke has a daughter storyline? Total fuckin garbage. Stupid soap operatic crap. I liked when Luke was a fringe character and the idea of hooking him up with Lorelai seemed to be a good one, but it softened him up and turned him into the wimp he never would have been earlier. And it forced the writers to spring crap like this on him in order to add turmoil. Terrible.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Palladinos are no longer writing it, but they have to accept some of the blame, because last season sucked donkey nuts, too.

And I'm with you about Luke. Couldn't he put the pimp hand down on Lorelai, just once?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I know I have plenty of time to watch a full season of a show on DVD or a movie because I rarely actually watch network TV. I have The West Wing, Simpsons, Dharma and Greg, and Band of Brothers, and can easily watch them by foregoing most of the garbage that's currently on the air.

Draft saved Draft deleted