1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Dusty" Movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Just_An_SID, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Terms of Endearment when the boys go into Debra Winger's hospital room.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A League of Their Own
    You've Got Mail
    When Harry Met Sally

3. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Good pick with Up. The wife's death is about as intense as Pixar had ever taken it in any of their movies, at least until the end of Toy Story 3, with the toys' impending incineration.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The end of Field of Dreams. "Dad, want to have a catch?"

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I find it very grim.
    It's heartfelt and majestic in spots.
    But grim as hell. Not a movie Fart would watch again.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

When they sing "I've been living to see you" in "Jesus Christ Superstar". I'm not religious but that scene gets me every time.

Monologue after the battle scene and the singing of the "Non nobis" in Branagh's "Henry V"

Most of "Truly, Madly, Deeply". If you can watch that movie without crying you might be a sociopath.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

"Awakenings"

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Old Yeller

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Ballad Of Cable Hogue, a relatively unknown Sam Peckinpah film, has the best death scene/funeral I've seen in a movie. Very moving.

Very different from most of Peckinpah's repertoire. Stars Jason Robards and Stella Stevens. Good flick. The Encore Western Channel shows it once in a while.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Another vote for Up. Took my kids to it and they were looking at me like I was an idiot as the tears were rolling down my cheeks.

Field of Dreams gets me, but earlier than most, when Moonlight Graham is walking into the corn and one of the players says, "Hey rookie! You were good!" and Graham tips his hat to him.

Bang the Drum Slowly is not so much a dusty movie but one that has me a big hot mess at the end.

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Another vote here for League of Their Own, during the reunion scene at the end.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember seeing Up with my wife. Neither of us was even remotely prepared for that first sequence.

Draft saved Draft deleted