1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dustin Pedroia wins AL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Christ, he picked a player on "MY" team to be MVP.

But to not have Pedroia on an MVP Top 10 ballot is inexcusable.

He admits he made a mistake in the quote. And his excuse makes no sense, since it's not like Pedroia struggled late in the season, batting .326 in September.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This might be the only reason Rob Neyer and his ilk being stonewalled from the process is objectionable. At least those guys will treat it with more than a small degree of respect.

And a closer being on an MVP ballot is a farce, never mind the '08 A-Rod.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rob Neyer first has to learn the difference between MVP and VORP.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you left off the MVP and had a guy who wasn't close to the best closer in the league in second, you should never vote again.

I'm sorry, but it's true.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'd be pleased to know that he'd have voted Mauer.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Rob Neyer first has to learn the difference between MVP and VORP.
    [/quote]
    Tyrannosaurus Spnited.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

First off, my paper does not cover the Red Sox. I simply added that at the end jokingly, because usually on this site when people defend the "indefensible," someone jokes "thanks for posting, Evan." I was stating I am not Evan Grant but wouldn't mind having his paycheck. My newspaper is doing just fine and turns a profit.
    I don't expect fans to be 100 percent sane; but fans who decide it is better to argue by yelling and spout off "fawkin pedroia's wicked good." If you look at the numbers, it's easy to see how Grant didn't vote Pedroia in the top 10 when Pedroia wasn't the best second baseman in the league.

BostonBred, Grant's reasoning made sense. The stats he used to determine MVP set up his ballot that way. The WEEI guys wanted him to use their numbers, most of which are outdated or rely on another player's teammates. While scoring runs are great, Pedroia did so because he had guys who could hit behind him.

Ashy, I think Grant intended to put Pedroia 8, 9 or 10, then got stuck with four very deserving players and three spots. I think everyone's rationale of stripping his vote because he left him off is ridiculous. Should we take away voting privilieges for everyone who didn't vote Democrat or Republican?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Rhody, to have the guy at No. 1 during the month of September and then drop him entirely out of the top 10 is ridiculous.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

K-Rod second is as bad as leaving Pedroia off.

Those two mistakes on the same ballot are inexcusable.

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Oh no! How could you snub the immortal Dustin Pedroia? I mean, there were only, what, 20 AL players with comparable or better numbers this season?

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

My take is based on what I see everywhere this gaffe is reported: A link to Grant's DMN BLOG in which he explains his vote.

Hmm. Seems like he might be trying to generate some traffic to his paper's Web site. Instead of just offering up a brief explanation, he keeps encouraging critics to click through to his BLOG.

His bosses might end up loving him for this, if they can figure a way to monetize his screw-up by touting all the unique visitors it drew. Which, of course, is an indefensible reason to mess up the balloting.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Call the thing a joke -- because it has been for many years -- and be done with it. If people didn't invest so much into this emotionally and intellectually, nobody would give a dram of piss who Evan Grant thinks is worthy of being MVP.

Draft saved Draft deleted