1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dustin Pedroia wins AL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Nov 18, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think Youkilis had a better year but I'm OK with Pedroia (or Morneau or Mauer).

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

What's the vote totals?
    How many points for first place vote, second place, etc?

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Dustin Pedroia was named the 2008 AL MVP, becoming the first second baseman in the Junior Circuit to win the award since Nellie Fox in 1959.

Player 1st 2nd 3rd Total
    Pedroia, Red Sox 16 6 4 317
    Justin Morneau, Twins 7 7 6 257
    Kevin Youkilis, Red Sox 2 4 4 201
    Others receiving votes: Joe Mauer, Twins, 188; Carlos Quentin, White Sox, 160; Francisco Rodriguez, Angels, 143; Josh Hamilton, Rangers, 112; Alex Rodriguez, Yankees, 45; Carlos Pena, Rays, 44; Grady Sizemore, Indians, 42; Evan Longoria, Rays, 38; Cliff Lee, Indians, 24; Miguel Cabrera, Tigers, 17; Vladimir Guerrero, Angels, 16; Jermaine Dye, White Sox, 14; Aubrey Huff, Orioles, 12; Milton Bradley, Rangers, 9; Jason Bartlett, Rays, 6; Mike Mussina, Yankees, 3; Raul Ibanez, Mariners, 1; Ian Kinsler, Rangers, 1; Ichiro Suzuki, Mariners, 1; Mark Teixeira, Angels, 1.

source: ESPN.com

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Homegrown talent has been big for the Sox the last couple of years.

5. That's a bigger margin than I would have bet on.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

What the fuck is the reason? What a hack.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

People who didn't deserve votes: Raul Ibanez; Mike Mussina; Jason Bartlett; Ichiro; Aubrey Huff; Vlad Guerrero.
    Why don't they just vote for the top 5?

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Jason Bartlett, and his ever impressive .286 average/.329 OBP with a whopping 1 homer and 37 RBIs.

Somebody try to justify Bartlett.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Maybe he voted Youkilis as his MVP and went with some combo of Morneau, Mauer and Quentin for 2-3?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/egrant/stories/111808dnspograntQT.2f0b790.html

I'm assuming this means Grant voted for Youkilis first, but it seems odd that he left Pedroia off entirely.

Oz, the voters list 10 players on their ballots. I could understand leaving Pedroia off if it was three or perhaps even five, but how do you leave him out of the top 10?

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

He did vote Youkilis for MVP, but tell me there are nine other players who are more deserving than Pedroia. It's a publicity stunt to make a statement. Strip him of his privilege of casting a vote.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

As it was for the Yanks when they went on the 1995-2000 run.

Draft saved Draft deleted