1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Durham, NC advice (mostly food)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by amraeder, Jun 21, 2013.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So I'm going to be in Durham for the first time in my life next week. I won't be there too long (Monday night - Thursday morning) and I won't have much free time (I'll be working 12 hour days), so I feel most of my exploring will be done with a fork and knife.
    Where should I be eating?
    Mostly I want awesome Carolina BBQ, but other genres are also welcome.

Thanks!

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Oxymoron. But there is some good food in Durham and I hear downtown has a lot more than when I lived there a few years back. Pops in Brightleaf Square is a fantastic Italian place.

3. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

One word: Cookout. Eat all your meals there.

4. Jake_Taylor

Cookout is excellent, though eating every meal there means you miss out on some other good places. Still,that's the smartest thing he's ever said.

Blue Corn Cafe on 9th Street has great Latin American food.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Chubby's Tacos on Ninth Street -- most excellent.

Here is a guide to the restaurants in the American Tobacco District area, mostly to highlight Tyler's, which has a good beer selection, and Tobacco Road Sports Cafe, which is decent and seats you in left field of the Bulls ballpark.

http://www.americantobaccohistoricdistrict.com/restaurants/page/10784063/

6. Jake_Taylor

My office was above Tyler's, great joint if you are looking for a sports bar-type place. They used to have great specials on Canadian beer during Canes games.

7. amraeder

When I google cookout Durham NC, I get three results, Hillsborough, Roxboro and Miami st. Which one should I be going to?

8. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

They're probably all the same and excellent. Most are open until 2 or 3 a.m. Get the burger all the way or the cheese dog with a Cheerwine and you'll be set.

9. Jake_Taylor

Hillsborough and Roxboro are little towns nearby, but you likely have no reason to go there. Miami Street is a Durham location, south part of town if I remember right. The other one must be the one closest to Duke.

10. amraeder

Ok, cool. Thanks!

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen in Chapel Hill. Utterly glorious chicken biscuits made even better when you add an egg and cheese. Greasy, disgusting, murderous and completely unforgettable. You'll hate yourself and pledge to do it again as soon as you can.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Just in case you're looking for "Bull Durham" locations:

http://www.fast-rewind.com/locations_bulldurham.htm

And Annie Savoy's house, which isn't in here, is 911 N. Mangum St. There's no sign, and somebody actually lives there.

Draft saved Draft deleted