1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumped because of gender and race

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by top of the world ma!, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can see how that happened. Doubt the big boss wanted the reason spread.

Sorry about your situation, Mr. Cagney. That sucks.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

If I have a freelancer who is no good. I tell them they're no good and need to improve.
    Playing the "diversity card" is a dangerous game.

3. But as long as the people looking for the opportunity have been in the business less than 40 years, you are theoretically punishing people for something they personally had no control over. Not really fair to punish someone for the actions of their forebearers.

(On the other hand, in the real world, opportunities will always remain unequal one way or another.)

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

For those whose families arrived in US post-slavery and have had no hiring/firing power in the years since, you risk punishing them for the actions of somebody else's ancestors. Thought it was wrong to right wrongs with more wrongs.

5. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

As stated previously, I'd feel exactly the same way, that it's unfair. But I like to think I'd still be able to acknowledge belonging to the "advantaged" group, even as my "advantage" was being used against me.

I feel for the families who arrived post-slavery, had no hiring/firing power throughout Reconstruction, Jim Crow and the pre-Civil Rights Era, and never did anything to hurt, harm or hinder black folks. Though being on the right side of the color line inarguably helped such families more often than not, that doesn't mean they endorsed or condoned disparate treatment.

It's like they're caught up in guilt-by-association.

And you don't have to tell me how totally unfair that is.

6. Finding a believable anecdote comes immediately to mind.

7. Why so cynical? I can assure you this is a real-life situation. Let's hope you don't experience it from my end some day.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The world is what it is. We middle-class white honkies got to skate into jobs for decades or centuries on end; if the shoe is finally on the other foot, tough shit for us. Suck it up and deal with it.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Well, if you are Boots, this phrase is freighted with more double-boomerang tragicomic slapstick than even F_B might reasonably bear.

If not, then not.

Continue.

10. boots

boots New Member

If only you knew how small you appear to mention me in your silly post.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Well, perhaps I'm just a small, silly man, boots.

We can't all call down the ethical, moral or professional thunder that the author of a 50-page internet manifesto on fictional backdoor lovin' can.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

PWNED!

Draft saved Draft deleted