1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumped because of gender and race

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by top of the world ma!, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, none of this makes any sense... I'm not going to blame Boots, but I don't think it's a legitimate situation...

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Yeah, I figured they weren't unionized, but he should check out his rights...maybe with a labour board

3. I'm not "boots."
    I've been entertained by this site for a long time, but only started a thread and posted because this is a new one on me.
    Union remedies don't apply. As I said, it was freelance. But well-established relationship.
    Could only sue if it is winnable.
    Wonder if the prospect of being "outed" might sway the media outlet in its decision. Because, like I said, there were witnesses.
    But would have to out myself as hurting white man, not very sympathetic figure in our business these days.

4. I should probably add, the freelance pay from this was not peanuts. It was needed money.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Did you have a contract? Or was it piecework?

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

No. 1 -- If this is an honest situation, quit posting about it on an online discussion board. Can only cause problems.
    No. 2 -- Get a lawyer.
    No. 3 -- You will win if you have proof this is the reason for your dismissal.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Union shop?

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

As I've stated before, I have been told on several occasions not to bother applying for a job because I was not the correct ethnicity/gender. Oh, yeah, and I was once told I wouldn't be suitable for a certain beat because I was too old. It is not as rare as you might think for a hiring editor to make that clear.

Is there legal recourse? Perhaps. I'm really not sure. But do you want to be the subject of scorn and ridicule like the guy who sued the Plain Dealer? Do you want the David Dukes of the world rallying behind you? It's a frustrating situation, to be sure. You need to decide if what's gained by raising a fuss is worth the trouble. In my case, I fumed and moved on. Your case might be different.

It's funny you say that, because that's the same thought I had the first time it happened to me -- it was nice of the SE to be up front with me and save me from wasting my time when I had no shot at the job. But the more I think about it, the more frustrating it becomes. Like everyone else, I would hope to be judged on my qualifications, on my ability and experience. When that doesn't happen, it's infuriating, especially when the editor has the gall to tell you to your face.

9. Thanks, Joe. It is even worse when you actually have had the job for a long while and then they drop you. For that reason.

But you are right. Little sympathy in the culture, or even the business, for a hurting white male. That guy who sued the Plain Dealer lost, gaining nothing.

10. boots

boots New Member

I'm sorry you lost the gig. Perhaps you can go in and talk with the powers that be to see how else you can be utilized.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You should freelance an article about it -- to their competitor.

Draft saved Draft deleted