1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumbest reader ever

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hankschu, May 21, 2008.

1. hankschu

hankschu Member

I've got to share with you this e-mail exchange I had this morning after covering the Giants-Rockies game last night.

READER: I was watching the Giants on TV yesterday, got called away, and when I returned Bochy was ejected for complaining about a balk call against Lincecum. I could get no further details and so fully expected to read about it when this morning's chronicle hit my door.

Nope. Not a mention. As this game was in Colorado, it was over at a reasonable time for a full account in the next day's paper. So why the omission?

Good thing there's the Internet where I can check out stories about which the chronicle seems most negligent. And I have to do this quite often these days.

Really not much of a reason to keep subscribing now, is there?

MY RESPONSE: Huh?

I think you and I were watching a different game. Either that, or you went to sleep April 29 and woke up this morning. That was the night that Lincecum was called for a balk that cost the Giants a game, against Colorado, at home.

READER'S FOLLOW-UP E-MAIL: You are absolutely right. Thanks for replying so quickly and being nice about it: you could have taken me to the mat and I would have deserved it. I guess what happened was I returned to the game during a replay of that balk/ejection and confused it with the same game

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wow. If that's the worst you get *** reader admitted he was an F-up, his response was basically bowing down to you and saying "My bad."

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

That's not the dumbest reader ever. Not by a longshot. The dumbest reader ever, first off, would have made a much stupider fool of himself than by mistaking a month old replay for something current. Then he would have used many more obscenities, most of them spelled wrong (moran). Then when/if you pointed his mistake out to him, he would have used many more incorrectly spelled obscenities to explain how it's somehow still your fault.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sounds like a reasonably sharp --- and humble --- reader.

I've been fooled by seeing a replay of something and thinking it was live.

5. Moderator1

Hell, last night I got jacked up by seeing a Zimmerman home run - from the third game of the season. Had just walked back into the room. Didn't even occur to me for a second that he was wearing a road uniform when they were at home *** DUH, slapping head.
    I think he then struck out, which made it worse.
    I fired off a note to the paper anyway for not including the home run in the game wrapup. ))):>

6. I received death threats after writing a straight news story about the Dixie Chicks.

This guy is far from being the dumbest reader ever.

7. Moderator1

Well, they're commies or sumthin. What did you expect?

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Like Zimmerman was going to jack Cole Hamels!!!!

9. Moderator1

He did - in the season's third game. Only run.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Good point. OK, like Zimmerman was going to jack Cole Hamels again!!!
    The new ballpark looks pretty good.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

This reader was not dumb. This reader acknowledged the mistake after you pointed it out. That, and I think the reader at least tried to provide constructive feedback.

Believe me, I've seen Stupid Reader Tricks. This ain't one of them.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I've done this. Drunk. At a bar. Seen a Tiger hit a homer on a replay and I went nuts. All my buddies were like "What. The. Fuck?"

Draft saved Draft deleted