1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumb iPod question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by always_looking, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Sorry for the potentially dumb question but before I go on a (fruitless?) search on Apple's web site, was wondering if someone could help answer an iPod question.

My home PC blew up over the weekend. Can't retrieve a thing. Actually had to go out and buy a new one, but the oldie was 5 years old and I wanted to invest in a new laptop with wireless capability and this all but forced my hand.

anyway, my iTunes music was on that computer.

so the question is .... since I can't retrieve anything from the old computer, but I have all the music downloaded on my iPod, is there anyway I can transfer all that music to a new iTunes account on my new laptop? I even had about $35 on my Music Store on that iTunes account, too.

Or am I screwed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Stupid

Stupid Member

you shouldn't need a new iTunes account and you're able to initialize up to 5 machines for your account. so if you haven't reached that limit, you should be good to go. I'd try to get that music backed up somewhere.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just curious, has anyone bought the iPod Shuffle? Because I'm finally thinking about getting an iPod with a gift card I got for Christmas to Circuit City.

Is the Shuffle worth it? Or are the Nano or regular iPods worth the extra money to do it right?

Thanks.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I inherited a Shuffle from my brother a year ago. Great little thing which I still use today. Has about eight hours of music (around 130 songs) and I don't know if they are making bigger ones now. I've got loads of music and I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger iPod but I can't say enough good stuff about the Shuffle.

6. It's easy to transfer you ipod-based music back to your computer. There are several little apps out there that make it happen. Good luck.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Yes, there is shareware available that will transfer music files from your iPod to computer. The trick is to make sure the iPod is set to "manually manage music" or whatever that setting is - basically make sure it doesn't try to automatically update when you connect it.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I could probably get by with the Shuffle. But there are times when I like to listen to an entire album, and the Shuffle wouldn't work.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

If you load the entire album on the Shuffle in order, and don't set it to "shuffle" then you would be OK. It will play songs in the order that you load them. At least mine does, not sure about the brand-new clip-on Shuffle, but I'm guessing it's the same.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I thought it was all shuffle all the time with the Shuffle. But, it sounds like you have a choice. That's cool.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No, you can play it in order. I never do though....

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It is still overpriced for the quality.

Better players with better options come cheaper.

iPods have their place, but only if you are basing your purchasing decisions around what everyone else has.

Draft saved Draft deleted