1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumb Ebay Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I've never bought anything off Ebay.

Let's say there's a handbag on there I want.

Let's say the "price" is $100, and the "buy it now" price is $110.

There are 0 bids.

Can I bid $50?

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

You cannot bid lower than the current bid price. If the minimum bid was $100 (set by the seller) you cannot bid less than that.

3. Lugnuts

Thank you. :) I just spent 10 minutes on eBay trying to figure out the answer to that.

I guess I'll send the seller an e-mail letting her know if she doesn't get any takers, I'm interested in the bag at a lower price.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

That's actually not kosher, Luggy. If the starting price is $100 and it doesn't go for $100, you can contact the seller after the close of auction with a lowball offer.

If it's a purse you know is worth way more than $100, though, I would take it. And the guarantee of getting it for a sawbuck more may be worth it, as opposed to waiting to see if anybody bids.

5. Lugnuts

Thanks, Flash. I'll wait until the close of auction.

It's a bag from a couple of seasons ago, and I think she's trying to charge around what the bag originally sold for. It is a new bag - i.e. unused - but I can't pay her asking price.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

If it's two seasons old and she's still trying to get tag price, yeah, you could take the chance to wait it out.

Am an avid Ebayer. Just waiting on a couple of purses to arrive myself. And a pair of Anne Klein shoes. :D

7. Lugnuts

Seems like it's hard to find deals, huh? Everybody's trying to make a buck.

Have you ever checked out Bag Borrow or Steal? I just checked it out and almost barfed. The bag I want is $90... TO RENT !!! :( :( For a month! Grrrrrrrr. Unless you work in the fashion industry... Bag Borrow or Steal seems like a ripoff.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This thread is severely testosterone challenged.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Sportschick introduced me to a shoe store. Found a pair I absolutely adored. No shipping outside the Lower 48. [​IMG]

So now I'm buying a similar pair, same designer, off Ebay. It's really the only way, no matter how corrupt it can be sometimes.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My girlfriend has made a great business out of selling all of our unused or gently used high-end clothes and stuff. Last week she sold a swingset. She sold a fur coat I hated.

You have to be sure you're not looking at a fake...check the comments about the seller. I'd send the email, and are what happens, worst thing would be you get a slap on the wrist, right?

What kind of bag?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My wife looked at a bag recently. $3,200. Not big enough for a baseball. Some fancy designer. Francis?
    Cost more than my first three cars. Combined.
    My son bought his girlfriend a $200 purse and I about gagged.

How can a purse cost that damn much?

As for eBay, I have more feedback than posts here. Use it all the time. Send an e-mail Luggy. Say, "Look, I just can't pay the asking price. I hope for your sake you get it. If you don't, contact me." Kosher smosher. People do it all the time.

12. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I have found that footwear made out of monkey scrotum — while extremely confortable — generally demands a premium price.

That's probaably the same case here. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted