1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumb boxing question re: records

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jay Sherman, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Okay, so every boxer I'm looking at on fightnews.com has a ridiculously good record.

Tyson Marquez is 20-0 with 16 KOs.
    Klitschko is 51-3 with 45 KOs.
    Tony Thompson is 31-2 with 19 KOs.
    Johnathon Banks is 20-0 with 14 KOs.
    Vincenzo Rossitto is 30-6-2 with 22 KOs.

The list goes on and on. So my question is, how do these guys beef up their records? Are there human punching bags whose records are like 0-57? Do those records only include professional fights, or is it amateur too? Because if it's amateur, I guess they could get a homeless guy in the ring and just pound on them to get their record nice.

Ok, so please school me on this because it's something I wondered about as a kid and never learned.

2. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_n11_v14/ai_21240305

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=4741&cat=boxer

Early in many young fighters' careers, usually fighters who had successful amateur careers or are are popular local fighters who sell a lot of tickets, opponents are brought in to build up a fighter's record. These are usually guys of lesser ability than the prospect or as is the case with somebody like Reggie Strickland, a skilled professional who understands that his role is to do just enough to lose.
    The records including only professional fights.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sports Illustrated did an outstanding article about 20 years ago about boxing 'opponents'. They're almost like the pro wrestling 'jobbers', who know they are supposed to lose.

One guy interviewed in SI's article was Bruce 'The Mouse' Strauss. He actually walked around in the ring before the fight to see where there were any soft spots so that he would know where to fall.

5. Somebody didn't read my link, but that's fine. It was only for decoration, I suppose. I'll just go over here and sulk. No one will notice.

6. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Donnie Penelton, a cousin of Gerald McClellan, was another guy in the Reggie Strickland mould.

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=004788&cat=boxer

As is Pete Buckley over in the UK…

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=003372&cat=boxer

7. Baron Scicluna

Don't feel bad. It was too late in the night for me to open up links.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I covered a low-level card once that was full of guys who were 7-19 or 12-37. You could see why.

My favorite story concerned a local Great White Hope who had been a star football player locally. He was going to become a boxer and much was made of his first bout. Three days before, his opponent has a stroke - yes, a stroke. So they find some sub. Guy gets into the ring wearing purple boxers with a safety pin over the dick hole. Had a gut like mine. Our hero brings back his fist, and the guy falls down. Place went apeshit.

Same card, another local stud with high hopes put his 10-0 mark on the line against some lifer from Baltimore. Guy had a record of like 100-72. He was said to be the "gatekeeper" in Baltimore, the local king. If you got by him, you went out to the bigger world. If you didn't, you stayed home. He absolutely kicked the shit out of the local star. Trashed him from one end of the ring to the other and said afterward, "Boxing must suck pretty bad down here if that's the best you got."

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Back in the 80s, Toronto fight cards were always filled with dive artists from Ohio (I mean, these guys showed up with everything but the fins and snorkel) to be fed to some local hero. (One guy was advertised on the fight poster as having "sparred with Larry Holmes".) And they didn't disappoint either, looking for a soft spot to land as soon as they could.

All those wins look good on a record but not so good when some kid moves up the ranks, like Shawn O'Sullivan did, and almost gets killed by Simon Brown, the first real pro he'd ever faced.

But once in a while the situation Moddy describes shows up and you see a guy clearly better than his record who has taken too many fights on short notice or has had managerial problems and he can ruin the night of many a prospect.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In the early part of the decade, several boxers from Ashtabula, Ohio served as "opponents" As best I could tell they were all residents of a homeless shelter who had no training in the sport whatsoever.
    Do a Google search for the name "James Holley"
    He was the guy who managed them. He also fought many times himself and was suspended for making fake federal ID cards.

11. Baron Scicluna

That's what happened with Mark Gastineau's boxing career. He ran up about a 20-fight win streak, then on ESPN, fought a guy (and I forget his name) who WAS pretty good. Gastineau got clobbered.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I used to tape the fights all the time in those days and I remember that one well (probably still have it in the archives here somewhere). I remember the look on Gastineau's face when the guy started punching back. Clearly this wasn't how it was supposed to go.

I'd seen talented fighters who didn't know how to react when hurt (think of Hearns in his first fight with Leonard), that must have been a pretty desperate situation for a poser like Gastineau.

Draft saved Draft deleted