1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumb bowl question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 6, 2007.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

and this is why the crappy teams like vandy will never leave the major conferences. sometimes you look at football scores and wish a vandy would go away, drop to 1-AA or a mid-major conference. but it would lose millions of dollars a year.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Uh ... Temple? If they wanted, couldn't the SEC members just kick Vandy off the island?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well it's not like Vandy's been a garuanteed W the last few seasons....They're definitely more cometitive that Temple. I thought the Owls went down to 1-AA of their own accord though.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Big East booted Temple, who will now join the MAC. They aren't I-AA.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My understanding was that the league voted Temple out for being "uncompetitive."

Certainly, that does not describe Vandy, which has been competitive ... just not overly successful.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In reality they voted Temple out for "not playing basketball in the Big East"

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Dumb Bowl ...

What teams would be in that?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The second team from a conference gets a half-share. The rest of that share is divided among the conferences that had only one BCS participant. So while 2-bid BCS conference teams do get more money, the actual difference in payout isn't anywhere near as substantial as most are led to believe.

9. WSKY

WSKY Member

If Hal Mumme spent less time blowing his boogers into a towel, they probably would win more game. That guys a poor man's June Jones and will never win. But I'm sure a few extra recruiting $$$ won't hurt.

10. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Uh, Blitz, outside of football and basketball,and perhaps baseball in south and west, nonrevenue sports generate NO money.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I think that money actually goes into some sort of "escrow" account (for lack of the actual term that I can't remember), and if you finish your time clean you get it. At least that was the SEC rule for the last MSU violation.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

sure they can. whether or not temple left voluntarily or was actually kicked out is a moot point when considering vanderbilt. conferences add and drop teams all the time. a group of schools can do whatever they want. there's no law that says you have to keep a shit-ass team in your conference. i'm guessing they like the academic reputation of vandy. i'm sure they've thought about whether vandy should stay or go and for whatever reasons the other schools have never made it an issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted