1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke Rape Hoax : The Washup

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ZoeB, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Who is defending Jesse or Al's comments? I'm talking about the alleged lynch mob aka large contingent of African American support behind Jesse and Al.

It is purely a myth. Are you going to harken back to his popularity over a quarter of a century ago? If my 15 year old daughter can blow those two off as a joke, why is it difficult for some of you to do the same? Because they provide you a conduit to express your already inbred biases.

2. ZoeB

ZoeB Member

And you'd feel the same about David Duke, right? Another irrelevant has-been?

My no-doubt-distorted view from Australia: yes, Blacks are still discriminated against in the USA. Parts of it, anyway. Whites are discriminated against too, in select areas, but nowhere near to the same extent.

Time for Blacks to get rid of that chip on their collective shoulder, time for Whites to open their eyes to the small discriminations that still exist, and time for furriners like me to stop lecturing you on what you should do.

Oops. Sorry about that.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Nice to hear you chime in.

It find it amazing how addressing the country wide (ironic that countrywide loans recently settled out of court in a discrimination suit) redlining of black communities and other institutionalized racial practices are transformed into "chips on the shoulder" that one should get over rather than addressing those issues first hand.

Incredible.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

David Duke never had national exposure and influence in the same way the Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton did. And trust me, I despise the man as much as anybody. I loved the fact that Edwin Edwards, he of the multiple federal indictments for illegal business dealings, managed to stay out of jail long enough to keep Duke from becoming governor of Louisiana.

Sadly enough, I doubt Edwards' legal issues or Duke's history as a grand wizard in the KKK mattered much in that election. The people of Louisiana chose the guy who they thought would do the most for them economically, like they always do. Still, getting beaten by Edwards was enough to do some tremendous and much-deserved damage to that racist fuckhead's political career.

Draft saved Draft deleted