1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke-Maryland Last Night ....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rhody31, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I didn't know where this belonged, but when ESPN's cameras went out late in the game last night, whoever the pxp guy was did a great job. Dicky V still yelled like we could see what was going on, but it was cool to hear a guy go from TV broadcasting, then realizing no one could see what was happening and immediately makeing the transition to radio.
    Oh, and Duke sucks.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So #24 Maryland beats #14 Duke for the second time this year, has a better conference record and a better overall record, Maryland's also beaten NC, Mich St., Illinois, Winthrop, Vermont and Clemson was it was #14 in the country.

Will MD move past Duke in the rankings?

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!? THE DOOKIES ARE STILL A NO. 3 SEED AT WORST! HEY, LET'S BE HONEST, THE ACC IS THE TOUGHEST CONFERENCE BA-BEE! AND COACH K ... HE'S RIGHT UP THERE WITH JOHN WOODEN! AND I DON'T THINK THE FANS AT KANSAS FULLY APPRECIATE THE JOB ROY WILLIAMS DID THERE! THE DOOKIES WILL REBOUND!

On a serious note, Dookie V never acts surprised when Duke loses. Why is this?

4. Earlier, when the Dukies were getting fried by somebody, we heard from Patrick and Vitale how EXCITED people got when they beat Duke. Last night, when it was clear Maryland had them put away, we heard about the NEW MIKE KRZYZEWSKI CENTER FOR ATHLETIC EXCELLENCE! I'm not down there enough but aren't the other ACC coaches ready to hit these ESPN people with a mallet for stuff like this?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Koach K kannot kuit soon enough to satisfy me.

Maybe then the teat-sucking will cease, or at least subside.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Saw this on one of ESPN's ACC message boards and thought you might enjoy it, Headbutt. The sad thing is, it could almost be real.

Hey folks, Dickie V here with some post-game analysis. It was another awesome spectacle on tobacco road, a real prime time performance!

I thought Gary Williams' team really played a solid game. Jones and Strawberry in particular really carried the team offensively.

And you really have to give credit to Duke as well. Just like they have done in each and every game this year, their kids left everything on the floor tonight. You could just see it in their floor leader, Josh McRoberts. I'm not talking about the 5 of 13 shooting in 39 minutes of play, or his three turnovers, or his three additional uncalled travels. I'm not talking about his mouthing off at the officials or his shoving Ibekwe after having his shot rejected. No -- I'm talking about the intensity he showed when he dove for that ball in front of his own bench. It just harkened me back to Greg Paulus' fearless dive through the media table in Madison Square Garden earlier this year. It's so easy to forget what a mentally tough kid Mr. McRoberts is when he cries into his towel as he tends to do, but believe you me, he is a true iron man!

Then you have to stand in awe, once again, at the incredible play of Duke's freshmen. Take Mr. Scheyer, for instance, the man who brings new meaning to the phrase "bringing your game face." His three for nine performance really kept the Dukies in the game. Like my buddy Mike Patrick said, this kid really has a shooter's mentality. We saw a classic case in point tonight. He shoots an airball from the perimeter, and what does he do? Does he drop back into a shell? Does he avoid shooting? No way, baby! The very next trip down the court, he launches a brick that bounds out to half-court and leads to a Maryland lay-up! That just shows such confidence and composure for a freshman!

And how about his improved defensive play? Did you see what he did at the end of the first half, when he drew that third foul on Mr. Strawberry? Ah, what a sight it was - the way he crawled right up under the Straw-man's feet and flopped to the floor as he was trying to dribble laterally! That's what you call taking away the horizontal penetration. And you can really tell that this kid is no stranger to receiving horizontal penetration.

And we saw another sensational performance by roll player David McClure. Sure, he was only 0 for 3 from the floor, but you just gotta love his intensity. Did you notice how strong he drove to the rack on that second half play? You know, the one where his shot was swatted all the way to half court? I mean, it was rejection city, baby, and it kicked off another Maryland fast break. But just like Mr. Scheyer, he did not let it rock his confidence one iota. You young players out there can really learn a lot from that!

Yes my friends, it was another awe-inspiring awesome performance by the Dukies. It's such a shame that they came away from this effort with a loss. But just realize none of this detracts from the absolutely amazing turnaround that Duke has accomplished. We're talking about a four game win streak after a four game losing streak. For those stats fans out there, that's four Ws in the last nine outings!

So those are my thoughts on another night of awesome ACC action!

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I saw it posted on a different board. Somewhat amusing. But he seems like he might be climbing off the bandwagon a bit this year.

8. That is very funny.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

...or sad.

10. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

For those stats fans out there -- well, what a useless stat, for one, and two, don't pay attention to this guy.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

And that's two consecutive losses on senior day/night for Duke. Not to be picky, but Duke did lose J.J.'s senior-day game:

[​IMG]

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Maryland always wins during Duke's senior night. Same thing happened to Battier. Happened in '95 too.

Draft saved Draft deleted