1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duke lacrosse accuser's name

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Apr 12, 2007.

?

Is your paper naming the Duke lacrosse accuser?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2007.
  1. Yes

38.1%
  2. No

61.9%
  1. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

I don't think naming her is the journalists' way of handing out punishment to the woman who falsely accused men of raping her. It's information that can benefit the public. Some people want to know these things. This next sentence may come across as being humorous, but I mean it in all seriousness when I say, if I ever were to hire strippers for a bachelor party, at least I know enough about her to make sure it isn't her. I'd also think there are a lot of other men out there who are happy to know who she is, so they can steer clear of a potential relationship. If she's willing to cry wolf about rape on such a huge scale, what else is she capable of? I, for one, think there's a public service to letting people know who she is.
    Is it a shame her life is going to be forever altered by being named? Yes, absolutely. But the Duke players, no matter how many times they're legally said to be innocent, will always have the stain of that rape accusation next to their names. Since she lied about it, she should absolutely share in that.

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Gimp - Totally agree. Well said.

3. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Rok, you're not fooling us ... we all know you don't have any friends. ;)
    And, you can't even keep from bashing Bryant on THIS thread, too? Why should I be surprised ... lol

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She should be named and prosecuted...

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

My facade, clearly, is shattered... :'(

As much as I've been watching Lakers games, writing about him, and altering my profile, are you surprised the Kober is on the brain?

:)

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Frank....did you feel the same way back in April '06? Do you feel the media simply reported a woman had accused players from the Duke lax team of rape....or did they mete out punishment with glee and splash their names and faces all over the place?
    Lets be honest......99% of the coverage led the public to believe there was no doubt the players were guilty, would be convicted and should serve 30+ years in prison.

But I must credit the media for their most recent coverage, at least the world now knows they should have never been charged, and their accuser lied.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Even if she's legitimately insane? From the reports on her past, that's a very real possibility.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

They've already said they won't prosecute her because they think she believes every story she's told the authorities.

If she's insane, and that seems to be a likely thing, she needs to be put into treatment. This isn't the first time she's accused men of raping her, and nobody else should have to go through what the Duke players went through because she can't separate fact from fiction.

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

Slappy, your spelling leaves something to be desired, or was that meant to be spelled with a "Y?"

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Chazp.....hard core feminists spell it with a "y",...."womyn". Think about it....

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Not all of us, but you guys fear of feminists is kinda cute.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I love feminists!

Draft saved Draft deleted