1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DUI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The legal limit is .08 in every state, thanks largely to pressure from MADD (not saying they were wrong to do that). Some states do have a statute allowing for you to be charged with a lesser violation if you're at .04 or .05.

And the principle of implied consent says that if you decline to perform tests, etc., you are assumed to be under the influence. Essentially, you agree to take those tests when asked anytime you get behind the wheel. So Dick, your friends are idiots. You did what you had to do.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Don't you have to do mandatory jail time in Georgia for first DUI?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Says the man with Joyce DeWitt in his avatar. :D

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

In Arizona, if you refuse to do the tests, your license is automatically suspended for 12 months.

5. McCrank

McCrank Member

It was too late to get yourself of the hook, you selfish asshole. You drank, got behind the wheel and got popped. You think because you never so much as got a speeding ticket you deserve some degree of understanding or leniency? You want the officers responsible for booking you into jail to be polite? You're a scumbag who lucked out that you didn't kill anyone, or yourself. Jail isn't supposed to be goddamn hospitable - it's fucking jail.

And really, who cares if you were drinking in the woods with 12,000 people or at home with your dog? You still made the decision to get behind the wheel. And this probably wasn't your first time, either.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Easy there, big fella. He wasn't asking the cops to be "polite," he was expecting them to be professional. They've done hundreds of DUI arrests. This was Dick's first. He wasn't expecting the cops to bring him dinner and leave a mint on the pillow in the jail cell. He was expecting them to tell him what's going on -- i.e., that he had been bonded out -- and not be sarcastic assholes when they're processing him.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying I expected to be let off the hook.

I was saying that when cops are sarcastic and taunt people, it may give someone - not me - an excuse to transfer their anger from themselves onto the police. And then the lesson is less likely to sink in because they, mentally, let themselves off the hook.

I'm not saying it's OK for someone to do that. I'm saying that it can be human nature.

And I'm not an asshole or a scumbag. And you're not supposed to be name-calling on here, per the rules. The moderators have been informed. Enjoy your vacation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.