1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DUI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I totally, totally do.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And whatever you do, Dick, just be glad that no one got hurt, or worse.

Eventually, you can look back at this as a lesson learned, instead of hating yourself for the rest of your life because you ruined someone else's.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It was March of 1997 for me. Thankfully nobody got hurt. I moved on, and so will you.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm a big no-drink, no-drive person -- at least i think i am. so is the mrs. so, too, is the way our sons are being raised. eldest shockey, 19, is home from his freshman year at college. do we understand he has an occasional brewski? sure.

heck, since he's been home he's had a couple of nights where he's been at a friend's with many others where beer was consumed. at least twice, he's played the role of mule, buying a couple of six-packs at a deli close to town. he's dropped them off at the friend's house, driven home to leave his car in the driveway, then had another bud drive him back to the party. i find that very responsible and i'm kind of proud of him. sure, i'd prefer he not drink at all, but c'mon, that's not keepin' it real. all you can hope for is responsibility.

that said, the mrs. and i went to dinner last night with another couple. restaurant less than a mile from home. the mrs. does all the driving due to my limitations. i do not drink. she had two glasses of pinot in the first hour of our three-hour event. not a drop in the final two, during which she enjoyed a full meal.

she drove us all back to our house afterward. no prob. but i have zero idea if she would've blown a breathalizer if, for whatever reason, we were stopped on the .8-.9 of a mile drive home. so i guess my question for all SportsJournalists.comer's is: did we act irresponsibly?

i do not drink. period. and believe me, if i thought she was impaired in any way she would not have been behind the wheel.

thoughts? ??? ??? ???

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

One glass of wine should be out of your system in an hour. Two glasses early, then a full meal and two hours of waiting? My uneducated guess was that it was out of her system. But again, uneducated.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

right, that was my uneducated thinking, as well as her's and the other couple's. the woman with us also had not had a drink -- we go into our dinners out with a fallback designated driver available -- but we all agreed there was no need to go to the bullpen.

but it is all just guesswork, i suppose.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Your body can handle a drink an hour before you start getting intoxicated. If you go to dinner, have a beer and eat a meal and that's it, you're not going to be drunk nor will you have an appreciable blood alcohol level. If you're going to have more than one, then find another way home.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

If you have to ask, why risk it?

---------------

Dick, I think there are a lot of people who wish like hell a cop had stopped them. If you look on the bright side, you're lucky!

I mean, if you hadn't been caught, somebody might have gotten hurt or killed that night......... or your subconscious might have told you it's okay to do it again someday.

I say....... hug your kid, get a good lawyer, pay your debt, tell anybody you can stand to tell not to do it, and begin the process of forgiving yourself.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Couldn't you sue them or press charges for harrassment?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A convicted drunk driver vs. M.A.D.D.? Yeah, that'll play well in court.

Cosmo says he got no calls. Maybe they organize differently by region or state. My pal was in North Carolina.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You can't do so for calls from telemarketers? What's MADD doing wrong? Perhaps they can be persistent, over-the-top, even preachy in some cases, but what laws has the organiztion broken?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Created an organized campaign of harrassment. Drunk driver or not, you still have some rights. And until it goes to court, remember that you're not guilty even if you blow a .40.
    The laws probably vary from state to state (and maybe that's why some folks get calls and others don't), but it seems there would have to be something on the books to deal with that. What if you live in the same city and have the same name as someone with a DUI? Or someone writes down the wrong number and they keep calling the wrong person?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.