1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DUI smear job

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Roving_Gambler, Nov 15, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think we can infer that.

2. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

That's what cops do. They pull you over for stupid shit like a license plate light that's out or rolling a stop sign. Who comes to a complete stop at a stop sign when no traffic is around anyway? Maybe 10% of the population. Most people slow to 2mph, then proceed.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

BTW, here's more info on the editor I was talking about, the irascible Vance Trimble:
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20071230/NEWS01/712300308/A-voice-is-stilled

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I want to clarify, I don't like the headline either. Just curious to see what others would use.

It would have to be very unique circumstances for me to use "arrested" in a headline, and again, unless there are unique circumstances, I would not publish a name until charges had been filed.

I'm going to respectfully partially disagree with Starman. If the reporter in question is at a major metro daily, then yes, I agree with you. Not news. But if you are talking small city/small town, most reporters are pretty high profile, whether they want to be or not.

Ultimately, in my opinion (for right or wrong), it's the decision of the newspaper. The key is consistency and fairness.

I don't want to come down on a newbie too much, but as a cops reporter, the opening post to this thread read to me similar to the "why aren't you covering our kids, they work so hard!" complaint that every prep sports reporter has heard.

I have three nasty cases I'm covering right now, and at one point or another, there's been "you're not being fair!" screamed from the rooftops to us. We have examined and reexamined how we are handling these cases and in each case, we feel we are being fair and accurate.

Without knowing the people involved, I'm guessing the paper is opting for uber-transparency. Unless the former editor was exonerated of the charges, I think it's overboard to say it was a smear. If he was exonerated, then he calls and asks for a correction.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Hopefully not one that could lead to a libel lawsuit if he's not guilty.

Reporter arrested, accused of DUI

Draft saved Draft deleted