1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dueling Star Ledger blogs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Aug 29, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Can someone in the know reveal if these guys are joking around with eachother in the blogs or is there bad blood?
    For those that missed it..

as far as I can tell, the opening salvo:
    http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2007/08/journalism_takes_a_day_off_at.html

the return fire:
    http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2007/08/rutgers_blog_come_on_is.html

and the counter (for three paragraphs at least):
    http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2007/08/plenty_of_frosh_could_see_time.html

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If newspapers want their readership to rise, print stuff like this all day long. I couldn't give a flying fk about anyone or anything mentioned in either of those blogs, but I ate it up.

4. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

Priceless. I don't care if it's real or staged. I'll be reading both blogs every day.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I would do a blog for my paper if they let me take shots at our other writers.

6. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

I think it's a joke .. but it was funny.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Seems corny and forced, like they flew one of WWE's top writers to craft an angle for the two to work. Maybe it's real, but it felt somehow less than genuine.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Since no paper would allow a real hissing match to exist beyond, oh, one post, then this is just two guys whacking off about each other. A, they aren't that interesting that people give a damn, and B, the salvos aren't that funny.

Trying way too hard to make each other into "characters." Get over yourselves.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually Joe Falls and Jerry Green had a great pissing match when Falls was at the Freep and Green at the News. When Falls moved to the News -- a move that improved the quality of both papers -- the pissing match continued on occasion.
    I remember one when they were in different papers.... The News did some kind of quiz for prizes, Falls printed the "hypothetical" answers in the Freep. Green came back two days later and wrote a column to the effect of "Hey dickhead, thanks for giving the readers the answers but your answers are WRONG."

And Reusse has continued to take shots at Sid since moving from the Pipress to the Strib. In print.

10. Joe Williams

But Reusse also wrote Sid's "autobiography" for him, I think. His public face is that he just likes to needle the old guy, ha ha, for fun.

Did Falls and Green really snipe back and forth while both were at the same paper?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

AT first, if I remember correctly, there were times when there were dueling shots... they stopped when Falls helped get Green fired and Green won his job back and his age discrimination suit.

12. Joe Williams

If the feud were real, sure, I'd read along till some tight-assed editor made them stop. Since it's just towel-snapping, move on and tell me something interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted