1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dude climbs tower 1,700 feet in the air

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When he was climbing up the ladder "inside" the tower I didn't think it was that bad but I cannot fathom stepping outside of the cage of the tower to go the rest of the way without something tethering you to the tower.

And the idea of a 30-pound anchor hanging on a strap from your waist doesn't seem like a good idea either.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That wasn't a 30-pound anchor. That was his balls.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm sure they have strict requirements built in, but the wind would be my biggest concern. Flying last night at about that same altitude, we had 20 knot, or 23 MPH, wind. That would scare me more than the tool bag.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, forgot about that.

Was talking about the tool kit though.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

My legs tensed up, my stomach did flips, the palms are sweaty. I can tolerate heights on a roller coaster or inside a building. But I won't go within five feet of a ledge that's five feet off the ground.

I'm not sure if I have a phobia about falling or what. But I've had dreams about it as long as I can remember, and, shit, sometimes I get the sensation I'm slipping and falling while laying in bed. My whole body jerks because of it.

That dude is fucking insane.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Everytime I get up high and it's exposed, I feel the need to jump over the railing and plummet to my death. The first time I got that feeling was walking across the bridge that connects Kentucky and Cincinnati near the GAB and all I wanted to do was lap over the railing. My legs tense up and I just want to jump. I also feel the need to throw whatever I am holding into the air as well. I almost tossed my wife's iPhone into the river last weekend and had to give it back to her. LOL
    Of course, I will never do that...but damn it's a weird feeling to have.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I wouldn't even be able to do the first 1,600 feet in the elevator.

For whatever reason I like flying, but heights give me trouble, especially if I am not secured to something. Big believer in the bigger they are, the harder they fall. And I agree with threebags. My biggest thought the entire time watching that was "What if a gust of wind picks up?"

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For me, it's the urge to grab a cop's gun out of his holster. Can't explain it. Just want to see if I can do it. Maybe take hostages or something, I dunno.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You're Batman...of course you can do it.

@MC, good to know I'm not the only one with that urge...

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Get pressganged into taking Junior Olympic track agate over the phone, and you'd be up that tower like a fucking spidermonkey.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

For me, whenever I'm walking by someone else by a railing, I think "I could just push him right over if I wanted." I also think about knocking drinks and plates out of people's hands.

I thought I was the only one. Weird.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Tripping random people, pantsing strangers. Yeah, you're not alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted