1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dude climbs tower 1,700 feet in the air

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jul 29, 2011.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Dude climbs to the top of a 1,700-foot transmission tower. Throughout most of the climb, the climber is not secured to the tower. He only secures himself during rest breaks.

This almost gave me an anxiety attack just watching it.

Hell, I don't even fly that high, most days.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I've seen it before...it still make my hands sweat just watching this.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Quite simply there's not enough money in the world. Not a fan of heights to begin with, I had trouble just watching that.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not without a fucking parachute.

5. ditto. And it's freaky. I have been nervous before, but never got sweaty palms. I even thought your post was a bit wierd when I read it before watching the video, then wouldn't ya be damned, they started to sweat when I watched it. Just wierd.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd rather take a million complaint calls from JV parents than do that job.

And imagine having to climb all the way up just to change a lightbulb in the beacon?

7. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I'm totally afraid of heights. This made me want to vomit.

There is not enough money in the world.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How does this not violate like every OSHA rule known to man?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I could handle climbing the inside part of it. But forget that outside the tower stuff. And standing on the top? Fuggedaboutit.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In the video, the guy said OSHA allows free climbing. Apparently the workers would rather not have to hook themselves, climb a few feet, unhook themselves, climb, etc.

No fucking way I do that job, but I know one guy who has worked on towers (not that high) and loves heights. I guess those people do exist.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I honestly got squeamish watching it. There is absolutely no way in hell I'd do it. Secured, with a parachute? Nope. Not even close.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I hope they test the new bulb before he goes up. And does he just throw the other one away?

Draft saved Draft deleted