1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duck Storm

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 19, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So you know it's a show...that's a start. Try the link of the first post of this thread. Or the one I posted about the salary. Or any number that show up when you Google "Duck Dynasty." That'll get you where you need to be. Although I suspect you already know.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The fact that I haven't done any of that illustrates how little I care. I probably should've left it at that.

Sorry. Carry on.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's cool. I've seen what you just did roughly 10 billion times on Facebook and Twitter today.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me what the "Black Michael Scott" means while you're at it?

5. YankeeFan

I said Storage Wars: Texas! Of course the starts of Storage Wars: Sodom and Gomorrah New York prefer a man's anus.

The anti-vagina sentiment in this statement offends me.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

First they came for the Evangelistic millionaires who pretended to live lives of buffoonish ignorance on a "reality" show, and I did not speak out ...

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

There are a lot of shows whose success I don't understand, but the hard-core intense man-love (sorry, Phil) for "Duck Dynasty" is chief among them, and that's something I saw up close this summer.

I was a chaperon for my church's senior high youth group for a mission trip in extreme southeast Tennessee, and we stayed at a camp with a bunch of Southern Baptists and Methodists working the same trip. We were among the few groups north of the Mason-Dixon line. Upon our arrival, our kids said the other kids kept calling them "yuppies," are we were all, why the hell are they dragging out Reagan-era slang? Do they still say "gag me with spoon," too?

Turns out someone let us know that is what the "Duck Dynasty" people call city folk, particularly northern city folk.

These other kids had a lot of Duck Dynasty gear already, and when they had free time later in the week, they bought more. I saw a couple of welcome mats in my cabin that kids had purchased, that featured catch-phrases from their favorite characters. Even at chapel at night, there was one program that featured words of inspiration from the Duck Dynasty guys.

We learned a lot about Southern life, the habits of youth Baptists and Southern Methodists during that trip -- we all agreed that we never felt so Northern in our lives -- but we could still never wrap our heads around the Duck Dynasty thing. And I had kids in our group (United Church of Christ, which is a denomination that's pretty much the opposite of everything ol' Phil stands for) who love country music.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd say you learned about one segment of Southern life. It's a pretty rich tableau down here - just like everywhere else.

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/19/21969918-louisiana-governor-defends-duck-dynasty-star?lite

Louisiana's Giv. Jindal slamming "the politically correct crowd" for this. He is wrong. Robertson made offensive comments in this day and age. P.C., to my way of thinking, does not enter into this crap. Jindal should just stay out of it, although since Robertson's co. helps that state's economy, I suppose I see *why* he is entering the debate. His reasoning is wrong, however.

10. YankeeFan

Texas ≠ "the South"

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Gotta disagree with you, because there's more than one Texas. East Texas is as South as South gets. West, Central and North Texas? Not so much.

12. YankeeFan

Yeah, that's true. Beaumont might as well be in Louisiana. But, once you get to Houston, you're no longer in the South.

Draft saved Draft deleted